Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does quilting mean to you? >

What does quilting mean to you?

What does quilting mean to you?

Old 06-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

This is the best topic!!! I've read every single response and there's not one thing I don't agree with/have the same experience !! :)
Old 06-04-2011, 07:58 AM

It's relaxation, therapy to be doing something, and creating a beautiful piece of artwork when finished; not to mention the satisfaction of seeing the smile of the receiver getting your quilt - it is many things wrapped into enjoyment overall.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:07 PM

it is my happy place
Old 06-04-2011, 03:18 PM

It gives my spirit a great lift....seeing the face of the recipient. Especially when I make memory quilts. Most of them are for deceased family members. Doesn't hurt my 'ego' either.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Oh what quilting to me means is my own little world -- well until I found the Quilting Board - LOL - I go into my own space and get going either piecing or cutting and have peace of mind and solve the worlds problems and a few of my own. Its a sense of accomplishment and pride to give away something I made to a loved one. I'm too busy right now to quilt and I know I have to get some other things done in order to get back in there and sew so I will get bookkeeping done quicker. Quilting allows me to be myself at my own pace even. :lol:
Old 06-04-2011, 06:31 PM

It's more than a hobby for me. I love to start projects, not so good a finishing, lots of UFO's, and love to give my stuff away to people who appreciate the effort. Quilting and sewing go back many generations on my mother's side. I can't imagine life w/o a sewing machine.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by pjemark
Quilting means to me- My mom had just got into quilting when she found out she had cancer. Funny thing is - she would have loved for me to get into the quilting- but i was busy raising a family and i was into scrapbooking at the time- then when she found out that she had cancer- we were both too busy to think about quilting- she was too busy trying to stay alive and i was too busy trying to keep my head above water while missing work- keeping up with the kids and going to the chemo etc with her. As it ended up- my mom passed away at the young age of 64. My aunt connie graciously bought her bernina and entire sewing room and she gave me the bernina. I thought- oh crap- i have been given this expensive sewing machine and now i have to use it . I mean, i always loved to sew ever since i learned to sew on my grandma's treadle- but life has a way of getting in the way of selfish hobbies while you are raising children. I took the machine and i put it in my office. I didn't want it at home because we have furbabies- actually grandfurbabies- and i knew that if it was at home i wouldn't let myself sew because the house wasn't clean enough or i had other things i should be doing. so i put it in my office-and I have to tell you- i absolutly adore my bernina- i adore the time i have to sew- and I adore my aunt connie for buying it for me. every time i sew on it i feel close to mom and every time i sew on it i remember how lucky i am to have an aunt connie

That is absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing :).
Old 06-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Its my spark. My husband says that when I quilt on the frame after 8:30 at night, I must quilt in my sleep as I thrash around all night! I also dream of piecing and quilt designs. I get very crabby if I cannot sew most everyday
Old 06-04-2011, 07:03 PM

I've read many of your responses and realized I "connect" to so many of them... and then it hit me...
Quilting is "connecting"... in so many ways... connecting fabrics and threads in wonderful, creative ways...
connecting with old and new friends who quilt...
connecting with those to whom we give our works of love...
connecting with the past and connecting with the future, too!! Someday, someone will be holding a quilt you made or I made, and perhaps wondering about us... even if the quilt isn't "perfect" (as we so often wish they were), the person holding our quilt will somehow connect with us... and maybe even wish they could have known us...

They'll know a little bit about us, just holding that quilt...

For me, quilting is connecting...
Old 06-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Quilting allows me to be creative. I love it and it's relaxing to me. The rest of the world goes away when I'm quilting. It's better than therapy and much more productive.