Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What does "working hard" mean to you? >

What does "working hard" mean to you?

What does "working hard" mean to you?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 AM

Default What does "working hard" mean to you?

I have this idea, a former dream that now needs to happen, and what rings in my head is that old phrase "word hard and you will succeed".

What does that mean, exactly? Push myself to the point of fatigue? Exclude everyone else from my life to sew dolls and crib sheets for others? Avoid watching "Project Runway" and traveling Pinterest? Maybe.

So naturally, I Googled "what does it mean to work hard" and came up with a summary that appeals to me:
https://my.wealthyaffiliate.com/cmho...n-to-work-hard

Like anything else, you have to define your own personal terms of success. I made a list of what I have accomplished in my life and it's pretty impressive, I think. I am successful in my world and that matters to me, and by reading those things, I know I can succeed in this business venture, if I only discipline myself to work on it when it makes sense in my life to do so.

So my question is: how do you define "working hard". What does that mean to you? Are you proud of yourself and your life even though it may not be what you envisioned years ago?

I'm looking for further perspectives on this because like the author of the above piece, I think we need to have a different outlook so we don't perceive ourselves as "less than" someone who appears to have more than we do. Our value and internal worth should be defined by us alone. Maybe you're already good with it and that's great, but I find I continually push myself to be a better me, in terms of achievement, whether it's to master frying shrimp (I swear, I'll always overcook it, maybe I should try baking it instead) or one of those pineapple quilts.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:50 AM

Even though I do not consider myself successful in a career sense, I feel I have been very successful in my life. Despite ourselves, my husband and I raised 2 daughters to become wonderful, caring, compassionate, giving women. I am so proud of them. I feel raising them to become the women they have become makes me very successful.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:10 AM

That's exactly what I mean. Success isn't necessarily measured by dollars.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM

I am self-employed, and to me working hard means getting done all the things I know in my heart need to get done to stay on top of things. That doesn't mean working around the clock or giving up all pleasures, and it doesn't mean letting things slide because there is no one to get on me about it. When I am working hard, things are under control.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 AM

My take on "working hard" is to put in extra effort for those things that are important to me...it may make me sweat, I might feel pain if it's physical work, it may mean taking time away from something less important...but it always involves making the decision that what I'm doing is important enough to go the extra mile. working hard can happen in raising kids, cleaning house, quilting, or attending school. But...working hard is not the only part of the equation,,..working smart is just as, if not more, important than working hard. I need to assess what my goal is and determine the best way to get there and not just work hard, If I work hard but I"m not on center for my goal, I'm not working smart and my results will be less than what I want.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM

The opposite of "hardly working"
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
My take on "working hard" is to put in extra effort for those things that are important to me...it may make me sweat, I might feel pain if it's physical work, it may mean taking time away from something less important...but it always involves making the decision that what I'm doing is important enough to go the extra mile. working hard can happen in raising kids, cleaning house, quilting, or attending school. But...working hard is not the only part of the equation,,..working smart is just as, if not more, important than working hard. I need to assess what my goal is and determine the best way to get there and not just work hard, If I work hard but I"m not on center for my goal, I'm not working smart and my results will be less than what I want.
Couldn't have said this better myself, ktbb.
It also means educating yourself about your project. And working smart also means taking time to refresh oneself, whether with sleep, a workout, a vacation, down time with a different project - even a book.
Jan in VA
Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 PM

My dad used to ask us if we "worked hard today?" What that meant to us, and what he taught us was that doing your absolute best was hard work. If you did everything in your power, tried your best, kept your focus, made no excuses, and learned from your mistakes, you were "working hard". He set the expectation bar high, and never made it seem like anything was out of reach or unattainable.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 AM

Working Hard? I am retired. I Play Hard. Doing things that give me pleasure with an occasional obligation thrown in to keep me balanced.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 AM

Working smart saves you from having to work hard.