Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What does quilting mean to you?

Is it a form of art, a craft, or a hobby for you? I want to know what you guys and gals think!

For me, it's a hobby that i want to perfect and make it into a work of art. It allows me to express myself in a way that I wouldn't be able to do otherwise. I can play with color and designs and it just makes me happy :).

Quote Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
    Is it a form of art, a craft, or a hobby for you? I want to know what you guys and gals think!

For me, it's a hobby that i want to perfect and make it into a work of art. It allows me to express myself in a way that I wouldn't be able to do otherwise. I can play with color and designs and it just makes me happy :).
    Ditto Girlfriend!!! I just love to create and succeed!!!
    Learning new techniques...always a blast!

for me its an art and my only source of income.

Blog Entries
    It's art when you create something from nothing. The big plus for me,it's my therapy. It helps me control my blood pressure. So it's win win.

Blog Entries
    It's my passion. The cares of the world go out the window when I get to my machine and fabrics:)

It is my escape. From work, the television, the telephone.. the world outside.

When I am hunting for the perfect fabric, pattern, design, etc..... then planning and cutting..... the sewing it back together... the whole process is an escape to peace and quiet, a chance to be creative and unique.

A sense of accomplishment and wonderment when finished.

A feeling of joy when presented to a loved one as a gift or a charity for the needy.

Contentment when covered and warmed by something I made myself.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    It's almost an obsession for me! It does allow my creative juices to flow so I would say it's an art form. I wouldn't call it a hobby because I never stick with hobbies but once quilting gets in your blood you are almost hook for life.

Art, passion, obsession. Stress relief. I even have a physical response to fabric I love - it literally jumps out and says, "take me home".

I am loving these responses! You all are so inspiring :).

I am a new quilter. I think it is a way for me to stay connected to my mom and my grandma. They are both quilters - so it is in my blood. I love everything about fabric. I enjoy creating something for people I love.

My grandkids and I had a picnic today on my first quilt. I can't explain the awesome feeling I had.

Power Poster
    Quilting allows me to express my creativity. There is something about quilts that nurture the human spirit.

I get great satisfaction from the creating process.

It makes it possible for me to shower my family and friends with handmade gifts that you cannot purchase in any store. One of a kind gifts that are just for each one. I love the process and the smiles when one of these gifts is received by someone who does not sew or quilt. I love the creating and choosing specific fabrics for each person to keep them warm or decorate their home. I just plain love quilting!!

Home, warmth. love and inspiration put into a useable colorful proect we can enjoy for a long time.

There is something deeply home and hearth about making a quilt .. rather like a bird nesting. Sorry I can not explain myself better lol

Julie

Blog Entries
    Quilting is a form of therapy for me. I can lose myself in my quilting and for a while, all worries are gone. And it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I see a quilt finished.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love all the responses too!! Once I tried to analyze my passion for making quilts. The whole process is delightful but the final result is my main attraction, so to speak. Sleeping under a quilt or knowing that someone I love is sleeping under one is the most wonderful feeling for me. I hope to make many quilts for those I love during my lifetime so they have a part of me with them long after I'm gone :)

Quilting is my way of expressing myself.I love to create my pieces of art.

Blog Entries
    Quilting allows me to be a bit of an artist with fabric and thread. I really love it. I look forward to it and thoroughly enjoy it. Another poster said it was a way to escape - and I agree.

It is my sanity!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    It is my sanity!
    Ditto!

Quilting means a lot to me. It's a wonderful craft, an art form and also something like a therapy and a good training for patience. Quilts have what I wish to have by myself: beauty, balance, structure, calmness and softness. When I quilt I feel complete...it's much more for me than hobby - it's passion, a little obsession and a lot of emotion.

I consider it an art..as a matter of fact..I informed a lady of just that when she said "oh..I do crafts too" I told her I didn't do crafts..lol..it's my passion..my solace..my escape..love it !!!

Quilting to me is like gardening...practical and yet an art. When I sit surrounded by my animal companions and put needle and thread to fabric, it is almost a form of meditation. Quilting brings me peace.

klc
    I love to create! I love learning and accomplishing something new. It is my gift to others, something I can leave for them to remember me by. It keeps me out of trouble and is very relaxing.

Quilting is my challenge, passion, stimulation and therapy.

Being a part of this QB forum has provided opportunities for me to communicate with a diverse group of quilters.

On a local level, quilting is an amazing and thriving activity. Some of us have learned "quilt documentation".The state quilting associations are accumulating archival pictures and surveys to preserve their legacies.

We also give back to our community by donating quilts made with love and hope.

Happy Quilting. :D

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast