View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 PM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I am sure I will love it, already liking it A LOT. I have been messing around and tried every stitch but not quilting yet.

I have wanted a new machine that does all that neat stuff for a long time but I never indulged myself. I am basically frugal and don't spend on things I don't NEED. I have an inheritance that I have hardly touched, just put it into high yield savings and have started to slowly put it into investments (leary of the stock market right now).

My sisters used some of theirs, one bought a Fifth Wheel, another bought a Mercedes. My brother is more like me and he indulged in something that has meaning for him... $7k on a backyard playset for his grandkids, "They're only young once."

I just can't do things like that and getting this sewing machine was hard enough to justify to myself. You only live once and you can't take it with you, it makes me happy and will last many, many years.
Good thinking, Pam. You've turned out amazing quilts on your 20 year old Kenmore. Now, you'll have even more fun with your new Viking Saphire. That BIG throat will be great for machine quilting - just remember to practice, practice, practice! Harriet Hargrave says to practice a couple hours a DAY! That sounds hard when you're working, I know, but fancy machine quilting gets easier. One of the things that helps is to practice with a pencil and paper BEFORE you go to the machine - something about muscle memory. I've tried it, and it does help.