Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a new sewing machine

I was out and didn't PLAN to buy a new machine though I have been thinking about it. Well, I got a Viking Sapphire 830. What a thing to buy on "impulse".

So, I get back to work after buying it at lunch and start to read stuff on the net about it and now I'm not so sure that it was the best decision. Does anyone have one and how does it work for you? Please tell me it wasn't a bad buy at $999.

I get free lessons as much as I want and I can trade it in and apply the full purchase price towards a higher model within a year.

I don't know about the sapphire, but my friend just bought the Viking QuilterII, I think that is what it is called and loves it. Viking is still built in Sweden, which is a good thing. Now most of Berninas are put together in China. She paid $1199.

Pittsburgpam, why are you concerned? I just did a google search and see only good things about it. Did you try it out and did you like the way it feels?

The Sapphires are good machines - they have all the great features that used to be available on only the top of the line machines, and that fantastic throat space.

Definitely take advantage of the free lessons - they will help you get acquainted with the machine and more comfortable with it. Some things will seem strange, like the pressure foot functions - but you'll be spoiled in no time! (You should have heard my mother, a long time sewer, when I told her I didn't have a pressure foot lever! I had fun with that one :wink: )

The searches I did all seemed to be bad reviews.

I tried it out at the store and it was great. It ran so smooth, it has the auto-sensor for the fabric and thickness and doing some test quilting, even having the batting folded into different thicknesses it just went smoothly from one to the other. It does an auto-lock at the beginning and end of stitching, has the needle up/down, the presser foot is controlled by the foot pedal.

Has 105 stitches, 10 memories, 3 alphabets (I think).

It is sooooo much better than my 20 year old Kenmore. I just hope I didn't make a bad decision.

Pam, just plug that baby in and create something!! When you are done...you won't feel guilty!! You might be hugging that grand investment!:)Skeat

If I could skip out on work right now I would be on my way home to play with it!!! I can hardly wait and it's Friday so I have all weekend to play.

Shaverg,

Your information is not quite truthful, it should be that some Brenina's are assembled in the far east. Of the current Bernina's sold in the USA only the Activa line of machines ISN"T assembled in Switzerland. The Activa's are built in plants built by Bernina under supervision of Bernina engineer's from Switzerland. In actuality none of the Bernina's are assembled in China, there are some made in Taiwan, Thailand, and other far eastern countries, but none made in China, that I am aware of. Each Bernina sold comes with a certificate of authenticity that states exactly which country it is made in.

The Bernette line of machines is sourced from Janome and some of them are made in China, but Bernina doesn't build them, they just buy them.

I may get one of my daughters sewing yet. I just spoke with my oldest and asked her if she wanted my old machine. She said she hand sews when she needs to. I said it's simple to do the basics and I saw a PURSE pattern that she would probably love! :lol: That got her. Her fiance is going golfing tomorrow so she made come by for a few hours and we can go over things.

We are a Bernina family and have been since 1956, many are now being assembled in Taiwan, China and Thailand and as of next year all the machines sold in the US will be assembled overseas including China. I will always keep my 930 but will probably by a Viking as they are still being made and assembled in Sweden.

I went online and found this "interactive" guide to the 830

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/8681.htm

My mechanic husband would really like that drop in bobbin! I think you got a wonderful machine for a pretty good price. Husquavarna is a big recommendation, that is for sure!
    How long is the throat compared to your other machine?
    I thought you might like to see what your machine can do with guide.
    Have fun!

Pam, I hope you will like your new machine. Sounds like it has a bunch of bells and whistles!

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    ...and as of next year all the machines sold in the US will be assembled overseas including China.

Hi Shaverg

Would you mind citing a source(s) for that information?

I can't help but hope it's not accurate, unless Switzerland is being included, where many of the Berninas are currently made.

Thank you for any further information.

And Pam!
    Congratulations on the new sewing machine!

According to whoever answers the technical questions posted via the Bernina website here is the scoop:
    200 series and the 950 (industrial) are assembled in Thailand from parts made in Asia, Europe, & Switzerland.
    The 400, 600, 700, & 800 series are assembled in Switzerland from parts made in Asia, Europe, & Switzerland.

I really hate being contentious but please prove your information, Shaverg. I believe that you have been misinformed and are spreading a rumor that is untruthful. The information from Bernina above is correct and factual and received in an email when I asked the question of origin of machines from their company. Bernina has recently built a very large and completely modern factory in Switzerland, and it seems very strange to me that they would make a large capital investment in a factory only to ship assemble off shore. Again, I ask please prove your information or stop spreading the rumors.

I am feeling better about my purchase. I will definately look at the link and it also came with a CD that I will watch shortly.

It is so pretty! Has a hard cover too. My Kenmore has a very short arm and the one time I tried to machine quilt it was a disaster. I will be trying everything out this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pam,

There are some sources on the web and our dealer we have been buying Bernina machines from for years, told us just last week, when we were looking at new machines. My understanding is it will be the ones sent to the US. I had seen about the assembly on the web and he verified. that the assembly is done in other countries, but I know many of the attachments are made overseas. My Bernina brand walking foot was made in China. I will see what else I can find, maybe we should start a thread. I love my Bernina and at one time would not have thought about buying anything else. I remember when Bernina was the Cadillac, now there are so many good and equal machines on the market. I will think twice.

Whoop, Pam I meant to say add your machine is beautiful. I am sure you will love it.

The other info on the Bernina was mainly for AtHomeSewing.

Cook'n....It's always good to educate all of us and I have to say that we are a very good and loving family here. I have to admit that I was bad in not even thinking about the 'where'....I shopped for a machine that had everything I wanted it to do, read and read reviews and most importantly talked to those that had that machine and what they liked or disliked about the product. Money and/or where did not come to my attention as I am sure so many of us do. No one wants to buy a machine that doesn't work right or not keep working right after the warranty is out. A good name on a machine has so much to do w/so much period...no matter the where. Now w/our economy the way it is....l will always check the where for anymore big purchases:)As we all know..what is today, could be different tomorrow. JMHO...Skeat

Just realized the picture of the machine is up!! Wow! You are going to have a great weekend....just unplug that phone!LOL Anxious to see what you create over the weekend....heck we are all coming over for purse patterns!!:0)And, to drool over your pics on the wall!! Love the looks of that basket one....I see not much sleep for you this weekend!:)Much fun ahead! Skeat

Pam -

Congratulations on your new machine - That is a sweet little machine. Viking makes nice, good quality sewing machines, so it should last you a long time.

cookn & athomesewing

See attached site and there are many more.http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Bernina...r_manufacturer

It looks like a nice sewing machine, I am sure you will really like it when you start playing with it.

I have a Viking Designer 2 that I have had for 6 years and love it. I am sure you made a good decision. Just wait until you've used it for a few weeks & you will love it.

Blog Entries
    How exciting ! Now get to it and start creating :lol: Can't wait to see what you make first. But on the other hand we may never hear from you again, you will be too busy with your new machine... :cry: LOL.. Keep us posted
    Sharon

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast