Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a new sewing machine

Good for you! Looks like a really nice machine.

ahhh damn, you went and DID it!! I've been eyeing this beautiful baby Elna Quilt Pro, twice what you paid is my cost when I'm ready AND it has only 2 alphabets. I'm wantin' it even more now that I see how wonderful all your stitches are. Gosh knows it's hard to decide on whether to do my floors or get my machine...dang it, I'm thinkin' on all the fun you're having and wishin' but it's gonna have to wait a bit. I'll enjoy your pictures Pam, share share share. I will live through your enjoyment while using my little ole singer. Plastic is as plastic does, right? :wink:

You made a wise choice. Don't second guess yourself, enjoy it and DO upgrade if that's your choice!

Hugs,
    Sharon

Congratulations!!! Those stitches are great. Can we look forward to seeing a fabulous crazy quilt from you? Enjoy your new machine!!!! :-) :-)

Pam ~ Congrats on your new Sewing Machine! You sound happy with your purchase and THAT is the most important thing. I had a Viking that I relaced with a Pfaff, simply because I love the Pfaff's built in walking foot. When I sold my HQ-16 long arm (bought "on impulse"), I then bought a Bernina Aurora QE with BSR. I prefer to piece with the Pfaff and FMQ with the Bernina. But, to be honest, neither of them has that wonderful extra long arm that you have on your Viking. That extra 2" inches makes a difference when it comes to FMQ. Each sewing machine seems to have its pluses and minuses. BTW, I had a Kenmore up until 6 years ago when I got intp quilting. It was an okay machine for the little sewing I did back then (making curtains, etc), but wow what a difference between that standard Kenmore and computerized machines out today! Enjoy your new toy. Have fun creating.

Now, I do have a question in response to OMAK's comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Oh! By the way - - I noticed that the machine is advertised as a machine that never has to be oiled. I just took a machine to the repair center - - advertised the same way a hundred years ago (mid 70s, perhaps) .. the repairman said: Don't you believe it!
    After I thought about it for awhile, I realized that he was right - - if you can sew with the machine and those parts are open to the air (in order for the parts to function) the oil can be used up and it needs to be oiled from time to time.
    I was told that my Pfaff did not require oiling. But I found that strange. Your argument makes perfect sense. So, without instructions to oil my Pfaff, how would I safely go about doing it? are all machines oiled the same way? This might sound like a stupid question, but I don't want to damage my Pfaff by oiling it "Wrong". Thanks, in advance, for your advise.
    nita

Blog Entries
    Wow Pam...somehow I missed that you had a new "baby"!!!!! Congrats!!! Aren't you having a ball? I drooled all over that pic you have of the large throat space. I love some of those stitches you have...the bicycle and travel trailer are so cute and different! Some of those other stitches will look fantastic in that crazy quilt you will be making :wink: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Nita

Now, I do have a question in response to OMAK's comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Oh! By the way - - I noticed that the machine is advertised as a machine that never has to be oiled. I just took a machine to the repair center - - advertised the same way a hundred years ago (mid 70s, perhaps) .. the repairman said: Don't you believe it!
    After I thought about it for awhile, I realized that he was right - - if you can sew with the machine and those parts are open to the air (in order for the parts to function) the oil can be used up and it needs to be oiled from time to time.
    I was told that my Pfaff did not require oiling. But I found that strange. Your argument makes perfect sense. So, without instructions to oil my Pfaff, how would I safely go about doing it? are all machines oiled the same way? This might sound like a stupid question, but I don't want to damage my Pfaff by oiling it "Wrong". Thanks, in advance, for your advise.
    nita
    The bobbin area would be my first target ... good cleaning can't be overstated, and I would make friends with my repairman so he would show me how to oil my machine.
    The machine I have was abused, misused, underused for over five years that I know of, before I finally ran it in to the ground and took it to my repairman. Because I had done all of that without ever trying to oil the things I had easy access to, one of the gears had to be replaced (only $14.00) but might not have been a problem if I hadn't taken the "no oil needed" so darned literally! LOL
    I have a Babylock QUilter Pro, and I have never seen a machine that had FOUR ports for inserting oil ... but, then .... at the factory, there was one port at the top ...
    When in doubt .... the repairman is your best friend ... other than that, all I can say is: if you can see two pieces of metal working together - - a joint, so to speak (without having to totally dismantle the machine) a drop of oil in that place would not be a bad thing. Is that about as clear as mud? LOL

I finished up a quilt this weekend on it and it was GREAT! The only problem I had was that at one point the bobbin thread got screwed up and was tangling. That was the complaint that I read over and over on reviews and I thought "Oh NO! They're right that it does that." Well, just before that I had started sewing a seam with the fabric not in as far as it should be and it tangled on the edge. I took it out and started re-sewing but it kept tangling. I found that the bobbin thread had come out of the tiny metal guide in the front so I re-threaded it and it was fine after that.

I really need to get a 1/4" foot, they were out of them when I got the machine. I will be trying a crazy quilt and want to use all those pretty metallic threads.

My daughter and I went to Joann's and she picked out a purse pattern. The fabric she chose is like silk because she loved the print and the tiny rhinestones on it and the straps are bright red immitation leather. I'll soon see how it works on these fabrics. I got the silky pieces cut out and fused to interfacing to give it some structure last night.

Ok Pam, when do we get photos of the quilt?

It's in the Pictures section, "Starred and Feathered is done." :)

What fun Pam...I've been chuckling reading the posts of congrats...only...no Pam!!:0)So glad you peeled your fingers off and finally come back to reality to post to us:)Sounds like you have your baby figured out!! Sounds like it will do just fine! Skeat

I believe her name is Charlotte. It came to me when I was making coffee Saturday morning. That was one of my grandmother's middle names (LaVirgie Mary Charlotte) and her mother's first name.

I just love it. That nice hum when it's going full speed... which is really fast compared to my old Kenmore and I had to lower the speed until I got used to it.

I love raising and lowering the presser foot with a tap on the foot pedal. don't have to take my hands off the fabric and it's especially useful when a 1/4" seam gets flipped back the wrong way. Just stop, tap it (I like needle down so it holds my place), lift the fabric up a bit so it flips back the right way, and start sewing again. I love the "Fix" setting so I don't need to backspace at the beginning or end of a seam, it automatically locks it.

I'm sure I could go on and on. I'll find out tonight when I start sewing the purse together that I'm making for my daughter how it does on other projects and thick material.

[quote=
    nita[/quote]

My sis and I were both told the same thing (for Pfaffs). Then she got the quilter which is also a Pfaff. When reading in the booklet, she discovered 3 places on it. So then we got to thinking about our own. She got out the booklet for hers and read where to oil it. Mine was getting noisy, so I thought if those two need a spot of oil, I would oil mine. Tada--quiet as could be.

So this is what we do. Remove bobbin/bobbin case and thread from needle. Put one drop of oil where the bobbin case goes, then briefly run the machine to distribute the oil. Wipe off any excess oil. Before sewing, sew on a scrap to make sure there is no oil to get on your project. Another thing you can do is google your machine and see if you can find a manuel for it or call your Pfaff dealer to make sure. Hope this helps you.

Ninnie here green with envy! You go girl and have a fun time! Someday...........

Enjoy your new machine, and try new things, following the manual/instruction book. In the long run you have made a good investment. It does not generally pay to purchase the simplist or plainest model of anything, and with experience in using equipment, one can then buy the "higher" end models at a later time. I have one simple sewing one, with no zigzag, etc, a 1960 Necchi that sews well for basic work, but it is nice to have a "mid-range" machine for more than that.

As for oiling, follow manufactuer's instructions. My Janome 1998 is serviced every two years by a trusted repairman, and oiled then.

I dont have to tap the footpedal to raise the foot. It automatically raises when you stop sewing. I dont understand why this is done.

I am completely in love with the Vikings. I have an Emerald 183, which I love. I would love to get one with the embroidery features, but the timing isn't right. You will love your machine!

Banned
    enjoy the new machine. i've yet to take the leap into a more expensive machine.

there's so many great ones on the market its hard to decide on a brand and model and don't even get me going on how expensive they are.

Congratulations on your new machine. I have never had a Viking but my sister, who is an expert seamstress, has used one since the 1950's and loves them. She got my mom's viking also when she passed away because hers was finally giving out. She even sews all her own coats, upholstery fabrics, hats, purses, you name it on hers.
    The only thing I have been told about the viking and it has nothing to do with the machine is that the new portable bobbin winders do not work for the viking bobbins. This information came to me from a friend who has a viking and so I believe it to be true. If you don't use the "SideWinder" you don't need to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I don't know about the sapphire, but my friend just bought the Viking QuilterII, I think that is what it is called and loves it. Viking is still built in Sweden, which is a good thing. Now most of Berninas are put together in China. She paid $1199.
    Again your information isn't quite accurate. Vikings are Designed and Engineered in Sweden, but manufactured in China in a factory supervised by Viking. Even there own web pages go out of their way not say Built in Sweden anymore...

Having said that, who cares where any of them are built? the only consideration should be the quality and performance of the machine and those things can be good, bad or indifferent no matter what the country of origin and are more related to the standards of the company overseeing the production.

i love my viking #1+. i've had it almost 20 years and the only problems i ever had were my own fault.

what were you looking for that you think this doesn't have? was there something else you wanted? if it fills your needs and you think it runs smoothly and the lessons are unlimited then why are you second-guessing yourself. sometimes our first instincts are the ones we SHOULD go with. if there is a service center nearby, then i don't think you have anything to worry about. in fact, it sounds like you did good.

i think that most people who review online are the dissatisfied ones. the ones that are deliriously happy don't bother. so you can't tell from reviewers.

just enjoy and feel lucky.

I bought one last august and the price you got is $300 less than I paid. I
    LOVE mine!!!!!!!!!! I use it every day. I even bought the quilt table that goes with the highest model and I love that too. I am going to have my bath room re-done and am in definite withdrawal!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    I am feeling better about my purchase. I will definately look at the link and it also came with a CD that I will watch shortly.

It is so pretty! Has a hard cover too. My Kenmore has a very short arm and the one time I tried to machine quilt it was a disaster. I will be trying everything out this weekend.
    Pam, you will love your Viking!

FYI: Something I would like to share with you. You can order generic attachments through Sears, and they fit Viking machines. Order the attachments at a Sears store at a third the cost. It's free delivery to your home too.

Enjoy your machine. I had the same guilt feelings when I bought mine, but it will soon go away. :wink:

I am so happy for you and can't wait to see what you produce next. I wish we could all get together once a week to sew, plenty of light, outlets, tables, chairs - what a grand time we would have. Beautiful stitches - you have a great designers mind, best of luck, have fun and by all means no feelings of guilt. You will be producing wonderful items to treasure long after the Mercedes is off of the road...

I have a Viking Saphire and absolutely love it.

I have a Viking Saphire and absolutely love it.
    In a short time you will be amazed at the features and the space you have for sewing/quilting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast