Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just bought a new sewing machine >

Just bought a new sewing machine

Just bought a new sewing machine

Old 04-10-2009, 03:10 PM

I went online and found this "interactive" guide to the 830

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/8681.htm

My mechanic husband would really like that drop in bobbin! I think you got a wonderful machine for a pretty good price. Husquavarna is a big recommendation, that is for sure!
How long is the throat compared to your other machine?
I thought you might like to see what your machine can do with guide.
Have fun!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM

Pam, I hope you will like your new machine. Sounds like it has a bunch of bells and whistles!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
...and as of next year all the machines sold in the US will be assembled overseas including China.

Hi Shaverg

Would you mind citing a source(s) for that information?

I can't help but hope it's not accurate, unless Switzerland is being included, where many of the Berninas are currently made.

Thank you for any further information.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:58 PM

And Pam!
Congratulations on the new sewing machine!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:30 PM

According to whoever answers the technical questions posted via the Bernina website here is the scoop:
200 series and the 950 (industrial) are assembled in Thailand from parts made in Asia, Europe, & Switzerland.
The 400, 600, 700, & 800 series are assembled in Switzerland from parts made in Asia, Europe, & Switzerland.

I really hate being contentious but please prove your information, Shaverg. I believe that you have been misinformed and are spreading a rumor that is untruthful. The information from Bernina above is correct and factual and received in an email when I asked the question of origin of machines from their company. Bernina has recently built a very large and completely modern factory in Switzerland, and it seems very strange to me that they would make a large capital investment in a factory only to ship assemble off shore. Again, I ask please prove your information or stop spreading the rumors.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:33 PM

I am feeling better about my purchase. I will definately look at the link and it also came with a CD that I will watch shortly.

It is so pretty! Has a hard cover too. My Kenmore has a very short arm and the one time I tried to machine quilt it was a disaster. I will be trying everything out this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-25908.jpe  
Old 04-10-2009, 04:43 PM

Pam,

There are some sources on the web and our dealer we have been buying Bernina machines from for years, told us just last week, when we were looking at new machines. My understanding is it will be the ones sent to the US. I had seen about the assembly on the web and he verified. that the assembly is done in other countries, but I know many of the attachments are made overseas. My Bernina brand walking foot was made in China. I will see what else I can find, maybe we should start a thread. I love my Bernina and at one time would not have thought about buying anything else. I remember when Bernina was the Cadillac, now there are so many good and equal machines on the market. I will think twice.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:45 PM

Whoop, Pam I meant to say add your machine is beautiful. I am sure you will love it.

The other info on the Bernina was mainly for AtHomeSewing.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Cook'n....It's always good to educate all of us and I have to say that we are a very good and loving family here. I have to admit that I was bad in not even thinking about the 'where'....I shopped for a machine that had everything I wanted it to do, read and read reviews and most importantly talked to those that had that machine and what they liked or disliked about the product. Money and/or where did not come to my attention as I am sure so many of us do. No one wants to buy a machine that doesn't work right or not keep working right after the warranty is out. A good name on a machine has so much to do w/so much period...no matter the where. Now w/our economy the way it is....l will always check the where for anymore big purchases:)As we all know..what is today, could be different tomorrow. JMHO...Skeat
Old 04-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Just realized the picture of the machine is up!! Wow! You are going to have a great weekend....just unplug that phone!LOL Anxious to see what you create over the weekend....heck we are all coming over for purse patterns!!:0)And, to drool over your pics on the wall!! Love the looks of that basket one....I see not much sleep for you this weekend!:)Much fun ahead! Skeat