Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a new sewing machine

Cool machine. I am so happy for you. Have fun.

Wowser! What a neat machine. Know how you feel when you spend that much money for something. You are going to love it :D Enjoy

I am sure I will love it, already liking it A LOT. I have been messing around and tried every stitch but not quilting yet.

I have wanted a new machine that does all that neat stuff for a long time but I never indulged myself. I am basically frugal and don't spend on things I don't NEED. I have an inheritance that I have hardly touched, just put it into high yield savings and have started to slowly put it into investments (leary of the stock market right now).

My sisters used some of theirs, one bought a Fifth Wheel, another bought a Mercedes. My brother is more like me and he indulged in something that has meaning for him... $7k on a backyard playset for his grandkids, "They're only young once."

I just can't do things like that and getting this sewing machine was hard enough to justify to myself. You only live once and you can't take it with you, it makes me happy and will last many, many years.

Congrats on your new machine :mrgreen: I'm sure you will enjoy this machine and all that it does ~ regardless of where it was made. Other comments or disagreements concerning brands and where they come from should go to another thread and let you enjoy the purchase of your new machine - just my opinion.

PG

I like the hardcase, too!
    Is that a Europro I see peeking out from behind your new machine?
    Don't forget I want to know how big that space between the needle and the tower and how tall from machine bed to - - you know! How big is that area where all of the quilt ends up until we get to the middle of the quilt? Inquiring minds want to know!
    And, don't forget you can upgrade ... that cannot be a bad possibility, though I have never exercised that option just get too used to a machine to want to change, if it is any good at all.
    Keep us in mind for a full report following your "weekend breaking in session" .
    This is almost as good as buying a new machine myself!
    Cool!

Looks like a great machine!!!
    I loved my Viking...but had to sell it...
    Enjoy!
    K

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    What a thing to buy on "impulse".
    Really? :wink:
    Congratulations.

PamNeighbor,

I occasionally receive money from my Fathers inheritance, through my mother who divvies up some of the family dough once a year or so. Knowing my father, I usually spend this money (and we aren't talking big bucks here) on tools, either quilting, woodworking, photographic, or computer tools because that is what my dad would have liked.

I think if you appreciate the machine you bought, you will never regret it.

Go make something pretty.

tim in san jose

Good for you! I bet right at this moment you are having a wonderful time!!

I bought the Sapphire 830 about 2 yrs ago for 1199.
    I like it and have not had any problems with it.
    It dosnt have an auto thread cutter which would be nice. But it has everything else.
    Some times I wish I had gotten the 850 for embroidery but it was more expensive.
    Bernina is out of my price range so could not get the stitch regualtor I very much wanted.
    The ten inch throat is wonderful and have quilted many quilts with ease.
    I havnt used the fancy stitchs much but plan to. Im not impressed with the instruction book. Took lessons when I first bought the mach but have forgotten them now.
    Be sure and use the 1/4 inch screen which I did not know about. Now I can adjust for scant 1/4 inch.
    One thing I dont like is how low the top of the machine is for threading and changing feet. It is hard to fit your hand in. It does have a threader but havnt learned to use it yet.

I am so happy for you. I hope your sewing away and enjoying it. Your going to find all kinds of uses for all those stitches!!

enjoy! :lol:

Glad you are having so much fun with your new machine. I know you are going to love it. Keep sewing.

Thank you omak.
    I found the videos and they are great. Now I can really play with my Sapphire.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! I know you will love using your new machine. All high end brand name machines are quality. You have a dealer close by so that should remove any concern you have if there is a problem. I think you have an awesome machine.

:D

I browsed the CD it came with before I played with it. It's pretty good and it shows with videos how to do all the functions.

I tried the different stitches and think how great they would be with colored thread on a crazy quilt. I wrote my name then saw that I must have pressed OK one too many times and got two "a"s on the end (my problem for many years is too much "A" on my end :lol: ).

I did some stitching with batting too and it worked perfectly.

I don't have a 1/4" foot yet so I used one with lines, the B foot, lined the fabric edge up with the far right line and moved the needle to -3.0. That did a fine 1/4 seam.

The space is a little small for changing needles and feet. The auto-threader was cool and I did it first time I tried.
    [img][/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stitches

Attached Images Attached Images

Pam, thanks for all the great photos. I also notice you use EQ too. I love my EQ6, so much fun. You go girl, and have fun.

No, I don't use EQ. The pictures on my wall of quilts waiting to be born are just drawn in MS Paint. I have EQ4 but never really used it and I DO want to try EQ6. There is an eBay seller that has it and you can choose a free companion program with it like Quilt Maker, Appliques, etc. I almost bought it yesterday and I'm just kidding myself that I'm not going to get it sometime soon.

I started with the orignal EQ the new EQ 6 is great gets better all the time. You do such a good job with ms paint, you would have a great time with EQ.

Congrats on that new machine.....you'll love it.....and you have a local dealer if problems arise.....enjoy my firend!.........we will wait with baited breathe for some fantastic results!....:-)

Thank you very much!
    you are right! My hands are not especially large, but that is really tiny under that part that you have to change the needle with.
    Oh! By the way - - I noticed that the machine is advertised as a machine that never has to be oiled. I just took a machine to the repair center - - advertised the same way a hundred years ago (mid 70s, perhaps) .. the repairman said: Don't you believe it!
    After I thought about it for awhile, I realized that he was right - - if you can sew with the machine and those parts are open to the air (in order for the parts to function) the oil can be used up and it needs to be oiled from time to time. In talking around, I actually found someone who had broken one of these machines apart to see if they could make it run again. The oil actually had dried and got so gummy that the gears couldn't function. (Not trying to scare you, just trying to warn you that every machine needs to be oiled from time to time ).
    Also, putting a machine in too cold an atmosphere (like my shop when the snow flies?) can cause the oil to break down and creates problems.
    I am debating showing hubby your new machine ... I mean ... it has been more than a year since he bought me the Babylock Quilter Pro ... surely he can see that a new machine will be quieter than old Viking I am using in the bunkhouse ... LOL
    You got a heck of a lot more with your machine than I got with the Quilter Pro - - at about the same price. Good job!
    I am so happy for you!

You are having too much fun over there!! Love those stitches!! And throat space:)Skeat

I am sure I will love it, already liking it A LOT. I have been messing around and tried every stitch but not quilting yet.

I have wanted a new machine that does all that neat stuff for a long time but I never indulged myself. I am basically frugal and don't spend on things I don't NEED. I have an inheritance that I have hardly touched, just put it into high yield savings and have started to slowly put it into investments (leary of the stock market right now).

My sisters used some of theirs, one bought a Fifth Wheel, another bought a Mercedes. My brother is more like me and he indulged in something that has meaning for him... $7k on a backyard playset for his grandkids, "They're only young once."

I just can't do things like that and getting this sewing machine was hard enough to justify to myself. You only live once and you can't take it with you, it makes me happy and will last many, many years.
    I think you've made a nice investment. I think that is great that you are frugal with your money. ;)

I tried the different stitches and think how great they would be with colored thread on a crazy quilt. I wrote my name then saw that I must have pressed OK one too many times and got two "a"s on the end (my problem for many years is too much "A" on my end :lol: ).

LMAO (too bad I can't do that literally!!!!!!!!)

WOW!!!!! Those are some really amazing stitches that that machine can do. I think it'll keep you busy for a while!

Congratulations on your investment! Thanks for sharing those pics of the throat, etc.

I was debating between this model and a Janome 2 years ago. Ended up with the Janome MC6600. I was back and forth between them for weeks.

Surprisingly, it can be very hard to spend $$ on ourselves! LOL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast