Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a new sewing machine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    I am sure I will love it, already liking it A LOT. I have been messing around and tried every stitch but not quilting yet.

I have wanted a new machine that does all that neat stuff for a long time but I never indulged myself. I am basically frugal and don't spend on things I don't NEED. I have an inheritance that I have hardly touched, just put it into high yield savings and have started to slowly put it into investments (leary of the stock market right now).

My sisters used some of theirs, one bought a Fifth Wheel, another bought a Mercedes. My brother is more like me and he indulged in something that has meaning for him... $7k on a backyard playset for his grandkids, "They're only young once."

I just can't do things like that and getting this sewing machine was hard enough to justify to myself. You only live once and you can't take it with you, it makes me happy and will last many, many years.
    Good thinking, Pam. You've turned out amazing quilts on your 20 year old Kenmore. Now, you'll have even more fun with your new Viking Saphire. That BIG throat will be great for machine quilting - just remember to practice, practice, practice! Harriet Hargrave says to practice a couple hours a DAY! That sounds hard when you're working, I know, but fancy machine quilting gets easier. One of the things that helps is to practice with a pencil and paper BEFORE you go to the machine - something about muscle memory. I've tried it, and it does help.

Blog Entries
    No, I don't use EQ. The pictures on my wall of quilts waiting to be born are just drawn in MS Paint. I have EQ4 but never really used it and I DO want to try EQ6. There is an eBay seller that has it and you can choose a free companion program with it like Quilt Maker, Appliques, etc. I almost bought it yesterday and I'm just kidding myself that I'm not going to get it sometime soon.
    Be careful buying EQ6 on Ebay. It can only be installed 4 times. You won't know for sure how many times it's been installed already if you buy it there. Even if they say it's new.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nita
    Pam ~ Congrats on your new Sewing Machine! You sound happy with your purchase and THAT is the most important thing. I had a Viking that I relaced with a Pfaff, simply because I love the Pfaff's built in walking foot. When I sold my HQ-16 long arm (bought "on impulse"), I then bought a Bernina Aurora QE with BSR. I prefer to piece with the Pfaff and FMQ with the Bernina. But, to be honest, neither of them has that wonderful extra long arm that you have on your Viking. That extra 2" inches makes a difference when it comes to FMQ. Each sewing machine seems to have its pluses and minuses. BTW, I had a Kenmore up until 6 years ago when I got intp quilting. It was an okay machine for the little sewing I did back then (making curtains, etc), but wow what a difference between that standard Kenmore and computerized machines out today! Enjoy your new toy. Have fun creating.

Now, I do have a question in response to OMAK's comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Oh! By the way - - I noticed that the machine is advertised as a machine that never has to be oiled. I just took a machine to the repair center - - advertised the same way a hundred years ago (mid 70s, perhaps) .. the repairman said: Don't you believe it!
    After I thought about it for awhile, I realized that he was right - - if you can sew with the machine and those parts are open to the air (in order for the parts to function) the oil can be used up and it needs to be oiled from time to time.
    I was told that my Pfaff did not require oiling. But I found that strange. Your argument makes perfect sense. So, without instructions to oil my Pfaff, how would I safely go about doing it? are all machines oiled the same way? This might sound like a stupid question, but I don't want to damage my Pfaff by oiling it "Wrong". Thanks, in advance, for your advise.
    nita
    My Pfaff book SHOWS where to put oil - a dab before putting the bobbin case back in - on the center bottom. Ask your dealer to be sure for your Pfaff model. Oil came with all 3 of my Pfaffs!

Blog Entries
    I have a Saphire 850 but I was disappointed that it did not include a walking foot as I told her I wanted it to quilt with. I said several times I'l l be able to machine quilt with this and she said oh yes.. She should have added that I would need the walking foot. I didn't find that out till I went to the class.And it cost another $100.00. I just bought a foot to stipple with and it cost $40.00. I thought that was high as I have heard people on line say their foot was $20.00.I was disappointed with the techniques of the sales person but I love the machine and have had it for over a year with out any problems at all. I took some classes and they really pushed trading in and buying up. They stressed their embroidery machine at the class and I'm not interested in that right now. So much of the time was a waste for me. I'm sure the classes vary depending on the teacher. The people they have at the store are not quilters and I would try to go to the LQS if I bought another machine It's really a shame because it is a great product but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. But I have no complaints about the machine itself.WOW I guess I just needed to get that off my chest!

Blog Entries
    I finished up a quilt this weekend on it and it was GREAT! The only problem I had was that at one point the bobbin thread got screwed up and was tangling. That was the complaint that I read over and over on reviews and I thought "Oh NO! They're right that it does that." Well, just before that I had started sewing a seam with the fabric not in as far as it should be and it tangled on the edge. I took it out and started re-sewing but it kept tangling. I found that the bobbin thread had come out of the tiny metal guide in the front so I re-threaded it and it was fine after that.

I really need to get a 1/4" foot, they were out of them when I got the machine. I will be trying a crazy quilt and want to use all those pretty metallic threads.

My daughter and I went to Joann's and she picked out a purse pattern. The fabric she chose is like silk because she loved the print and the tiny rhinestones on it and the straps are bright red immitation leather. I'll soon see how it works on these fabrics. I got the silky pieces cut out and fused to interfacing to give it some structure last night.
    The sewing guru at my Pfaff dealer says the secret to sewing with METALLIC thread, besides using a needle made for metallic thread, is to put the spool AS FAR FROM THE MACHINE as you can. That way, the thread untangles before it can break. She recommends putting it in a coffee mug on the FLOOR, attaching a BINDER CLIP to the open cover on top of the machine and threading through it before doing the regular threading. I do a version of this with embroidery thread and quilting thread - I put the mug on the table next to the machine, because it doesn't tangle or knot like metallic thread does.

I just got home after looking at the Viking Saphire 830, 850, and 870. The 830 is on sale for 999. The 870 has more bells and whistles, but am not sure if they are worth another 1300. Anyway, let me know how you like your new machine, I am going to buy something before the end of the month. Marylou

Congratulations Pam!! I am green with envy! :mrgreen:
    I'm still using the Singer Touch and Sew that I got in 1969, but have been shopping/researching online for a new machine and getting more and more confused. Too many choices!! And so much $$$!
    Sounds as though you are enjoying your machine. I'm happy for you and look forward to some quilt photos.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hi Pam, I missed this until now! Congrats on the arrival of Charlotte! I can't imagine you would do EVEN more beautiful work though!!!

K x

You have purchased a great machine. I have an older Viking that is over 10 years old and I can do anything on it. My friend just bought a Saphire and absolutely loves it. Take the free lessons. They are worth their weight in chocolate. I have done piecing, quilting, purse making including leather, making clothes, curtains and pillows and it just keeps on going. I would not trade mine for anything except a new Saphire. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I dont have to tap the footpedal to raise the foot. It automatically raises when you stop sewing. I dont understand why this is done.
    I believe if I have the "needle down" setting on that it raises the foot when I stop sewing but the needle stays down in the fabric. If I have the needle up setting on, the needle comes up but the foot stays down.

Thanks for all the good advice. I will definately be taking care of this one (not that I didn't take care of the Kenmore) and will go over the maintenance. I've been messing around with it and it is just so smooth, fast, and quieter than the old one. I'm just loving it.

I also looked at the 850 and the 870 but for right now, this is enough for me to get used to and the price was right. I will seriously consider upgrading when the time comes.

I haven't been to the classes yet but I will, maybe tomorrow evening if I'm not too tired from work. I hope they are good but the woman that was there when I bought it and we were going over functions didn't know something that was pretty basic, IMO. She was showing me the fancy stitches and stopping in the middle of a motif. I asked if there is a way to stop it at the end of one and she said she believes there is but didn't know. I learned on the CD that you press the STOP button and it will stop at the end of the current one it is sewing.

What doesn't it have that I would like? Automatic thread cutting would be nice. What does it do that is my fav? I don't lose the thread!!! On my Kenmore I ALWAYS had to hold the end of the needle thread when I started to sew or it would be pulled out of the eye and I'd have to thread it again. It doesn't do that!

It was a great deal and you will love it. I have 8 vikings and love them all. Get the lessons and then enjoy it. It is great for quilting

Blog Entries

[b] Honey, I don't think you will be disapointed at all. I have 4 vikings and they have serverd me well. the first I bought when I first strted work, 1963, It is the one that I will not sell, it is in reat condition. Don't think back and have fun.
    Just enjoy.
    Marilee

Hi!-Viking is a top notch name in the feild of sewing. I used to work for them part-time in addition to my full time job. I own two Viking embroidery machines-both of which are top of the line(Designer SE and Designer Diamond). As for the 830 model, it makes for a great quilting experience with its pivot and turn feature where the pressure foot automatically rises a notch when the operator takes her/his foot off the pedal. The bobbin NEVER knots up. It Glides over multiple thicknesses of fabric. Also, the pressure foot has three positions so one never has to fight to position the quilt. The 850 has a longer bed so you one doesn't have to fight to sew and move the quilt through. Viking pressure feet fit all the Viking machines so if you trade up you don't have to lose all your favorite feet. The only thing the 850 doesn't have is a thread cutter and I am so annoyed that one has to jump to the 870 to get it because there is a great jump in price. But for avid quilters, it may be worth the jump-the thread cutter is THAT convenient. I don't know what you read but I can tell you that you made a smart purchase. Your machine never needs oiling and you are likely to have it for your lifetime. Enjoy!/Lissa

well by now, you have figured out, that it wasn't that you made an "impulse" buy...you were struggling with, but what is called 'buyers' remorse'. I get that too. It's bc we are so careful with what funds we have to work with.
    Reading that you are having much fun with it, and the original anxiety seems to be fading. I have read online reviews on stuff in the past, and I am inclined to agree with somebody on here...you usually hear more from disgruntled ppl, and so many times, it is operator error.
    You have a nice throat space and a spotlight. That has got to be awesome. I have a thread cutter on my new Janome, but haven't been using it, simply bc I read that ONE person, said, it would make you have to re-thread the machine.
    I have to take my own advice, and make up my own mind. We ask advice on different aspects of a quilt, but we eventually do what makes us happy, right? So, I will try that feature today, to see if I can save on thread.
    I am curious. I am afraid to do stuff, like oiling, on my own, that might go against my warranty. Maybe others aren't still covered. I baby my machines, and always follow book. Wish mine came with a cd.
    You did good, it's just hard to make those major purchases and then wonder if we could have done better. Maybe we could have, but you get to upgrade. We do the best we know at the time, and sounds like your pretty convinced now, you got it right. Have fun! :D

I know you will be very happy with your new machine. I like the pics of your sewing room too. Your's is sooooooooooo neat, not mine. Although I did get it picked up last week some......I know how you are about big purchases. I made a decision a few years ago to buy the Brother 4000D because I wanted something that embroidered and I could quilt with too. My husband was afraid I would spend all of that money and not get my money's worth.......now he says.........Are you ever coming out of your sewing room? In the spring I garden and work in the yard a lot, but in the dead heat of summer I am inside sewing. Thanks again for your pics.....you will love the free classes, I had always looked forward to them.

I have owned a Viking Husqvarna all my life and would not buy anything else. I have a Designer I and absolutely love it. I think you will have fun with your new machine.

JCL, wow you are being ripped off.
    When I bought my 830 they gave me a quilting kit with all kinds of stuff in it including a walking foot.
    I have bought several extra feet and they have never been over 30 dollars.
    I bought my 830 thru the H.Viking inside Joanns.

Pittsburgpam- I personally do not think you got a bad deal. I also have a Viking and have had it for a number of years. I LOVE it. A great machine and has never needed repair. In fact, I will probably teach my grand-daughter to sew on it this year. Definitely take the lessons. They are invaluable. ENJOY![b] dphelps

Dang... I didn't get anything "extra" with my machine other than what I assume comes standard. There are maybe a half dozen different feet (all basically the same IMO except maybe a zipper foot) and I got the button hole foot that plugs into the machine and it measures the button hole.

I still need the quarter foot. I have the needle off-set to be 1/4" from the edge of one of the other feet but whenever I turn it off and on, it goes back to the default. I had to take a seam out the other day because I sewed it at 1/2"

I haven't looked up how to save my favorite stitches yet but I hope that will save that setting too.

I have the Sapphire 830 and it is a WONDERFUL machine. You should be very happy with this machine. Takes a little getting used to not manually putting the presser foot down but in no time you'll get it and love it.

Hi....whatever you do, don't oil your machine on your own. Take it in for servicing (if you can bear to part with it!) every year if you do a lot of sewing and every 1 1/2 years otherwise. Be smart. Vikings do not need oiling by other than a veteran representative in repairs. Take care and once again, I hope you are enjoying your wonderful machine!:)/ Lissa

Hi- so many replys to your purchase!:) I'm excited for you. The 1/4inch guide is just a shade wider than setting the needle at a "scant" 1/4inch. Choose whichever you like better but just keep using the same agenda (the guide or setting the needle) that you started with for the entire project...and yes, you can set the machine at a scant 1/4inch in saving stitches. Just call the store to wing you through it via phone or make sure you are on task by taking a class. Most sewers love to help others...if theyr'e really good and confident. Just let them know how much of a novice you are to your machine and get them to take you step by step over the telephone.....follow along on your machine as you converse with your aide where you bought the machine. It's your machine....and you are never a burden to talk to! I have had my machines for a few years now and still make phone calls to the store where I purchased it....Joannes. Much success and best wishes, Lissa

I took my 830 in for servicing and found out it has a 1/4 inch setting. Then if I need a scant 1/4 inch I adjust to 2.5.
    Now I just use the A foot instead of the 1/4 inch foot and it works great.

I have been looking for the same model. I "test drove" it and was very pleased. I'm from Pgh too. And my old Viking 1100 has finally given up the ghost. I have been angling for a new machine and can't justify putting any more $$ into the old one to get it up and working again. I just loved my old Viking and researched the Sapphire. It seems to have everything I need. Let me know how you do with it!! Did you get it from Amy Baughman?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast