Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just bought a new sewing machine >

Just bought a new sewing machine

Just bought a new sewing machine

Old 04-17-2009, 06:44 PM

I have 4 Viking machines and love every one of them........I think you got a good deal .......about a year ago, I bought a Saphire 830 for my mother and paid over 1100 for it...........I think you will enjoy using the machine....it sews beautifully, and at least @ my Viking store, they are so very helpful..............
Old 04-17-2009, 07:12 PM

P. Pam.....I have a Phaff and I think you made a good decision. I know how you feel because I felt the same way when I bought my machine. When you put that much money in a machine you want it to be worth it and more, right. The bad reviews you read, could of been inexperienced sewers or something. With the free lessons and the dealer wants to make sure you know the machine, I don't think you have nothing to worry about. Have fun with your new machine. Also, hope your daughter gets hooked on sewing with your Kenmore, I try to get my 2 girls into it also. I told them when I pass on, I need to leave all my quilting and sewing stuff to them. :wink:
Old 04-17-2009, 07:32 PM

omak....I had asked the same question on the board. My manual never shows anywhere to oil my 2048 quilt expression so I oiled the bobbin case like I always did on my little cheap Brother that I had and it was only $99 but it ran really good, but anyway after oiling my Phaff, I contacted a dealer and told him, that I oiled my Phaff and he liked to had a fit. He told me to bring it to him immediatly for service. He said too like you, that it is designed to self oil itself, not to ever oil it or you will ruin your machine. Anyway, mine ran better and so far, I have not had a problem with it at all. I never did take it to the dealer, but I am not gonna oil it anymore either. :)
Old 04-17-2009, 08:26 PM

I have a Pfaff Performance 2056 and I put a drop of oil in the bobbin case regularly. My dealer was the one who showed me where to put the oil.

Congratulations on your new machine Pam, you will have years of enjoyment from it. :)
Old 04-18-2009, 04:57 AM

Pam,
There is actually a 1/4" stitch in the program part of the machine. You save to your stiches by pressing the heart.

Diana (lass)
Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
You have a nice throat space and a spotlight. That has got to be awesome. I have a thread cutter on my new Janome, but haven't been using it, simply bc I read that ONE person, said, it would make you have to re-thread the machine.
I have a babylock quilt pro ... with thread cutter ... use it specifically on my quilting frame ... it cuts the thread, but as you noted, I have to always reload the bobbin after that happens. I THOUGHT I had read the manual really thoroughly (apparently, I got sidetracked with pictures) .. I went back and found that the bobbin starts being loaded the normal manner, but after that, there are two or three more notches that it has to go through in order to cut thread without losing the end. I haven't gone back and really worked it all out, but my SIL got the same machine, followed all the direction (she is a jewel) and has no problems whatsoever! Check to see if there are extra places for that bobbin thread.
Industrial sewing machines cut the thread and pick up for the next piece to be sewn, so we know it can be done ... I have missed something in the threading process ...
Old 04-19-2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by lass
Pam,
There is actually a 1/4" stitch in the program part of the machine. You save to your stiches by pressing the heart.

Diana (lass)
Where is the 1/4" setting? I know there is a 1/4 menu but I didn't see that it had anything different than a standard straight stitch that I then moved over.

I pressed the heart, it comes up with a place to save it... and then what? It's like it wants me to enter a name or something for #1, #2, etc. I have pressed every button and the up/down arrows and it just beeps at me.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:09 PM

At lunch with the quilting girls (I use that term lightly) one day, one of them stated that all Vikings and Berninas are made in China, Taiwan, etc. That upset me and I came home and immediately contacted both of them from their websites. Viking sent me a lengthy reply stating that their Viking brand is made at home, but they contract for offbrand and those are made offshore. Bernina didn't even give me the courtest of a response. I own a Bernina 930 which as most people know is one of the last "workhorses" of the Bernina line that can still be taken apart piece by piece. You can't do that with the newer models. I also have a Viking Designer 1, but had to take it in for work because it sounded like a threshing machine next to my daughter's (we both bought one the same day). The problem was minor and because I had so few hours on it (it was out of warranty) they fixed it for nothing. I like them both and really don't care where they came from as long as they work for me. Use it, enjoy it and quit second guessing yourself. I'm sure you'll create some magnificent things with it.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
You have a nice throat space and a spotlight. That has got to be awesome. I have a thread cutter on my new Janome, but haven't been using it, simply bc I read that ONE person, said, it would make you have to re-thread the machine.
I have a babylock quilt pro ... with thread cutter ... use it specifically on my quilting frame ... it cuts the thread, but as you noted, I have to always reload the bobbin after that happens. I THOUGHT I had read the manual really thoroughly (apparently, I got sidetracked with pictures) .. I went back and found that the bobbin starts being loaded the normal manner, but after that, there are two or three more notches that it has to go through in order to cut thread without losing the end. I haven't gone back and really worked it all out, but my SIL got the same machine, followed all the direction (she is a jewel) and has no problems whatsoever! Check to see if there are extra places for that bobbin thread.
Industrial sewing machines cut the thread and pick up for the next piece to be sewn, so we know it can be done
... I have missed something in the threading process ...
thanks, omak!!! :D
Old 04-28-2009, 03:30 AM

Sorry about the directions before. it is the button that has a stitch and is the second stitch (the one with the 1/4 on it) To get there hit the right arrow then press ok. The 1/4 stitch comes up automatically. It moves the needle to the right for you.