View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 AM
All Thumbs

Good morning quilters.............I have a Bernina820 plus a smaller Bernina. When I free motion quilt or quilt with walking foot, I am just not pleased with the look of the stitches from machine quilting. I have tried wrapped poly from A&E, maxi-lock poly, 100% cotton Coats-n-Clarks, and even some 100% cotton thread art. Everything was either so messy to sew with or just seem thin. I am using quilting needles (not sharps for piecing) and have even tried a top-stitching needle for the quilting. I have adjusted both top and bottom tensions at various numbers, all still not looking the best. Tension is fine, it is the thread that I do not like.

Now my latest try was yesterday's purchase of a Sulky 100% Viscose (made in Germany) and it turned out terrific. My only problem is that it splits and breaks thread at needle or within the uptake inside of machine. What a mess that was.

So fellow quilters, may I ask for any and all suggestions? Should I be switching to a different needle? Should I be trying a different thread. Like so many on our Board, it amazes me of the helpfulness of everyone. Thank you so much and happy stitching all.

PS: The machines work fine and have no problems (general maintenance twice a year). It is a thread appearance that I am displeased with.