View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Feathers

Originally Posted by mamabird3
I finished my little ones lap quilt top tonight. I love love love it. Now the problem is, I am going to machine quilt on it. I haven't done much of it before and I am a bit intimidated by it. Sure hope I don't mess up to badly! Any advice would be appreciated! Please....
Mamabird:
Your quilt is just darling. I think the pattern is called a "Double Pinwheel." It looks so complicated. Great job.

When I asked for suggestions on how to machine quilt I was told a few really good suggestions:

1. SLOW sewing- Don't RUSH the job

2. WALKING FOOT really helps make the job easier without puckers and wadding on the backside of the quilt.

3. Use a longer than normal stitch length

4. Nobby quilt gloves ...can also use those little garden gloves with the little nobs on them. These help you keep a grip on the quilt and your hands don't get so tired. I bought my gloves at a quilt store class for about $9 a few years ago but tried the garden gloves ($1.99 at Bi-Mart) and they work equally as well. Just need something for traction.

5. Enjoy the experience and LOVE the results. I'm a novice quilter but when I do a machine quilting I always feel like "I've arrived!" in the REAL quilting world. :lol: