View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 AM
omak

okay .... I have some advice for you!
First ... take a pen and paper and practice meandering a design around on it, so you have an idea of how you want the quilting to show up.
Do you understand about feed dogs down, darning foot on, stitch length down to nothing, sew fast, and move moderately, start in the middle and then move to the right side, so that you will be having less quilt in the throat of your machine?
Some things to remember about quilting. The goal is: three layers of fabric held together so that the lap quilt can be washed without the batting all floating down to the bottom or one end. Check out your batting wrapper to see the MAXIMUM spacing for best use of quilting. Some batting has to be quilted at least every two inches or it will fall apart.
That will determine part of your quilting.
If you are going to be "stippling" - - DO NOT put it too close together - - I have "control issues" and it is very hard for me to loosen up, and I quilted a queen sized quilt so stippled, that I swear! It was like a board! So the secret is real open stippling, meandering lines.
So, you are quilting along and darn! You run out of bobbin thread. Now, what do you do? Simple! Load your next bobbin, and line your needle up with the last five or six stitches sewn. Stitch exactly over those stitches ... VIOLA! The stitches are anchored and you may continue on merrily on your way. Almost every item of clothing we wear, every stitched item in our position has this technique for beginning or ending a stitch line ... A really good machine operator will do it so well, you almost can't see it, but it is there.
If you have more questions, I may be able to help you more.
Oh, and one more thing .... your hands ... best opened and fingers spaced on the quilt to help it move.
As far as setting your machine up, if the bed of your machine is level with a table, grand! If not, put a table in a corner of the room, with the wall running on your left side, and in front of you. This will hold the quilt on your table and will be one less thing pulling on your arms and shoulders and hands. You can do this, and you will do it great! :thumbup: