Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
quiltswithdogs

I have not yet made a quilt top I hated. I was disappointed by one, but since it still made my sister cry, I like it.

I do have a really good idea for you. Give it to a group who assembles quilts for the homeless or shelters!

I used to participate once a month at a local quilt shop where we finished quilts for the local shelters. We took already pieced tops that were donated and did a simple machine quilting of the 3 layers. Each person admitted into the shelter was brought into the closet and told to select one to keep... forever. Sadly, (are you ready to get teary?) many times, the quilt would be the only possession a child would bring back when they returned again due to homelessness. It broke my heart.

When that got to be too big a committment for me (rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, other things), I started going to a different group who met 2-3 times a year for a big quilt-a-thon type thing. It is called "The Ugly Quilt Project". Again, the donated tops were already pieced and ready for assembling of 3 layers. The fabric choices are whatever has been donated too, so not always pretty. We actually sew those up on 2 1/2 sides to become sleeping bags because they are (are you ready to cry again?) for people not in shelters; they are on the streets or under bridges! I have never wanted to be on the team to deliver those. Oh and sometimes, someplace has donated a bunch of stuffed animals to insert into each child-size sleeping bag quilt. We roll each finished quilt and secure it with a donated man's tie.

So, does that help make you feel better about your "ugly" quilt?
Cathy (quiltswithdogs)