Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever made a quilt top and then just not LIKED it??

I have been working on a quilt for my porch. I used that new square-in-a-square cutting technique we talked about last week, and I cut enough squares to make about 4 quilts! I sewed up about 50 blocks and
    put them in place on my design wall. It isn't at all what I had in mind. I think the value contrast is too sharp, and maybe there are too many unconnected fabrics of all colors in it.

Because this was a quilt intended for hanging on the wall outdoors (although shaded and screened), I used a real variety of fabrics including polyester and blends and some bottomweights. Cheap fabrics. Good fabrics. In other words, I can't just finish it up and sell it. It's definitely not a baby quilt, or I would finish it up and donate it to the shelter.

What do you do with ugly or boring quilt tops?

Blog Entries
    I made a big quilt top and hated it after it was together. I cut it up in big squares, sashed the squares and put it back together. It made a nice crazy quilt. I keep it on the porch swing.

I'm sorry that happened, but I know how you feel. Like you said you could give it to a shelter for women and children. Maybe get a tax write off for next year. Or keep it for a spare when company comes, pinic blanket, etc. Just some ideas.

My first quilt top, in fact.. it was a muted turquoise fan on muslin.. very antique looking.. and bigger than queen sized.. I worked like a demon on it, got it finished and loathed it... Sold it for $250. and went on to bright colors.. I'm MUCH happier with.

Banned
    when i'm learning a new technique i use fabrics i normally never use in my art quilts. i make them with the intention of donating them.

these quilts are donated to hospice care every year at the holiday season with a gift basket of lotions, lip balm, and hard candies.

i make all the quilts and the ladies at our church put together the gift baskets. it ends up being about 20 quilts a year.

I started making quilts 4 yrs ago but only lap and baby size.
    Am I glad. There is so much to learn especially about color and I have made many mistakes that I dont like. With small quilts you learn alot and much faster. I am just now learning how much difference color makes to a pattern. I just finished a disappearing nine patch and see what I should have done. Glad it is a lap size. I needed to use larger prints for my dark colors, it would have looked much better.

Can you post a pix? Someone here might love it. I started making a Tessalations quilt for a friend of mine...I had seen one another friend had made and loved hers. Mine is UGLY! I'll bet mine is uglier than yours for sure. I only had blocks made and took them off my design wall put them in a box and gave them away. She loved the UGLY thing I loathed. Hey You never know.LOL

My other thought is possibly making doggie beds from it and donating them to an animal shelter!

Sorry of your disappointment, I can relate!

I made a crazy block quilt top, maybe five years ago, and it is huge. After it was all sewn together, I spread it out on the floor to have a look. You know it's not that great of a quilt top when your husband and three kids have nothing to say, except, "Well, it's interesting." It is rolled up and stuffed onto a shelf and hasn't been touched since.

Can you donate it to a homeless shelter, where they sleep on the cots? Our guild makes quilts for family and childern centers,nursing homes,crisis centers, oncology units, hospices, any place that has a need for quilts. My friend Flora and I are the Co-chairs for the quilting for the "Quilting for Others" committee. I won't be satisfied until every bed in Tucson has a quilt. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Pam W.

Can you donate it to a homeless shelter, where they sleep on the cots? Our guild makes quilts for family and childern centers,nursing homes,crisis centers, oncology units, hospices, any place that has a need for quilts. My friend Flora and I are the Co-chairs for the quilting for the "Quilting for Others" committee. I won't be satisfied until every bed in Tucson has a quilt. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Pam W.

Because of the variety of fabric types, I'd probably make it into dog and/or cat sizes and donate them to the local animal shelter. You KNOW how much cats love quilts!! :) And you'd still get a tax write-off for the donation!

Put it out of site for a month, then look at it...this gives it a new look :D

I have a King Size Trip Around the world quilt top I made in 1984, it is put away in a box, never has been quilted, just didn't like it or the process. I am planing on cutting it up and donating it to groups that make small quilts for kids. The colors are mostly primary calicos.

I have not yet made a quilt top I hated. I was disappointed by one, but since it still made my sister cry, I like it.

I do have a really good idea for you. Give it to a group who assembles quilts for the homeless or shelters!

I used to participate once a month at a local quilt shop where we finished quilts for the local shelters. We took already pieced tops that were donated and did a simple machine quilting of the 3 layers. Each person admitted into the shelter was brought into the closet and told to select one to keep... forever. Sadly, (are you ready to get teary?) many times, the quilt would be the only possession a child would bring back when they returned again due to homelessness. It broke my heart.

When that got to be too big a committment for me (rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, other things), I started going to a different group who met 2-3 times a year for a big quilt-a-thon type thing. It is called "The Ugly Quilt Project". Again, the donated tops were already pieced and ready for assembling of 3 layers. The fabric choices are whatever has been donated too, so not always pretty. We actually sew those up on 2 1/2 sides to become sleeping bags because they are (are you ready to cry again?) for people not in shelters; they are on the streets or under bridges! I have never wanted to be on the team to deliver those. Oh and sometimes, someplace has donated a bunch of stuffed animals to insert into each child-size sleeping bag quilt. We roll each finished quilt and secure it with a donated man's tie.

So, does that help make you feel better about your "ugly" quilt?
    Cathy (quiltswithdogs)

ok - I will put it away for a week or two and then take it out and finish it up for donation somewhere.

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...quiltapril.jpg[/IMG]

It's just stuck up on my design wall, not sewn together.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry you don't like it, but anyone that likes srappy quilts will love it! :D
    It won't take long to finish it up then donate it, please don't tell where you donate it that you think it is ugly :( It will make someone very happy, trust me :-)

Blog Entries
    Yep, I had an idea about a pattern and allowed the lady at the quilt store to talk me into a very safe and boring color. (I was new and didn't have the confidence to stick to my guns.) I finished the top, layed it out on the floor and the cats peeled back the top and shredded the batting. IT WAS UNANYMOUS - we all hated it.

My guild makes small quilts for kids in the hospital and large quilts for the woman's shelter. I donated the top and the backing to the community service group of my guild and a few month later was amazed at finding bits of my crappy top in a variety of donation quilts - - and they were cute.

Cathe, Its a scrappy quilt and i like it. Sew it up, put a dk blue border on it and some one will love it. Marge

Love Scrappy quilts. Love it.

Dark blue would be a good choice.

That's only part of the quilt. It will be bigger when I finish it.

I won't tell the recipient that I think it's ugly.

I think I will look around and see if there are any local groups to which I could just donate the top and have them finish it. hmmmm... it's a pretty small town, but you never know!

Blog Entries
    Sorry you don't like the quilt - I think it is quintessential scrappy and cute to boot. Someone will love it, and who knows, by the time you finish it - it may even grow on you. :wink:

finishing it up and giving it away is a grand idea - it's not really THATbad... it'd be nice for a porch swing maybe -or even for a picnic. i love scrappy look..

Cathe, I see "Broken Dishes" with whole squares in between. That is quite good symbolism for women who are homeless and trying to put their lives back together! So, now, you just have to donate it!

I used Broken Dishes on a wallhanging I made for our county's hospital exam room for victims of sexual assault. I'll post a photo of it one of these days when my hubby can teach me how.

Cathy

You can always donate it to a womens shelter or cut it up and make smaller ones and give it to an animal shelter, they always need blankets :wink:

Blog Entries
    I like it! It's very cozy looking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast