Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever made a quilt top and then just not LIKED it?? >

Have you ever made a quilt top and then just not LIKED it??

Have you ever made a quilt top and then just not LIKED it??

Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 AM

Because of the variety of fabric types, I'd probably make it into dog and/or cat sizes and donate them to the local animal shelter. You KNOW how much cats love quilts!! :) And you'd still get a tax write-off for the donation!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Put it out of site for a month, then look at it...this gives it a new look :D
Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 AM

I have a King Size Trip Around the world quilt top I made in 1984, it is put away in a box, never has been quilted, just didn't like it or the process. I am planing on cutting it up and donating it to groups that make small quilts for kids. The colors are mostly primary calicos.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 AM

I have not yet made a quilt top I hated. I was disappointed by one, but since it still made my sister cry, I like it.

I do have a really good idea for you. Give it to a group who assembles quilts for the homeless or shelters!

I used to participate once a month at a local quilt shop where we finished quilts for the local shelters. We took already pieced tops that were donated and did a simple machine quilting of the 3 layers. Each person admitted into the shelter was brought into the closet and told to select one to keep... forever. Sadly, (are you ready to get teary?) many times, the quilt would be the only possession a child would bring back when they returned again due to homelessness. It broke my heart.

When that got to be too big a committment for me (rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, other things), I started going to a different group who met 2-3 times a year for a big quilt-a-thon type thing. It is called "The Ugly Quilt Project". Again, the donated tops were already pieced and ready for assembling of 3 layers. The fabric choices are whatever has been donated too, so not always pretty. We actually sew those up on 2 1/2 sides to become sleeping bags because they are (are you ready to cry again?) for people not in shelters; they are on the streets or under bridges! I have never wanted to be on the team to deliver those. Oh and sometimes, someplace has donated a bunch of stuffed animals to insert into each child-size sleeping bag quilt. We roll each finished quilt and secure it with a donated man's tie.

So, does that help make you feel better about your "ugly" quilt?
Cathy (quiltswithdogs)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:10 AM

ok - I will put it away for a week or two and then take it out and finish it up for donation somewhere.

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...quiltapril.jpg[/IMG]

It's just stuck up on my design wall, not sewn together.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM

I'm sorry you don't like it, but anyone that likes srappy quilts will love it! :D
It won't take long to finish it up then donate it, please don't tell where you donate it that you think it is ugly :( It will make someone very happy, trust me :-)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Yep, I had an idea about a pattern and allowed the lady at the quilt store to talk me into a very safe and boring color. (I was new and didn't have the confidence to stick to my guns.) I finished the top, layed it out on the floor and the cats peeled back the top and shredded the batting. IT WAS UNANYMOUS - we all hated it.

My guild makes small quilts for kids in the hospital and large quilts for the woman's shelter. I donated the top and the backing to the community service group of my guild and a few month later was amazed at finding bits of my crappy top in a variety of donation quilts - - and they were cute.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Cathe, Its a scrappy quilt and i like it. Sew it up, put a dk blue border on it and some one will love it. Marge
Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Love Scrappy quilts. Love it.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:31 AM

Dark blue would be a good choice.

That's only part of the quilt. It will be bigger when I finish it.

I won't tell the recipient that I think it's ugly.

I think I will look around and see if there are any local groups to which I could just donate the top and have them finish it. hmmmm... it's a pretty small town, but you never know!