Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Have you ever made a quilt top and then just not LIKED it??

lol

I like it too! It would be a quilt you wouldn't be afraid to drag around to picnics, to watch the fireworks display at night, etc.

Whack it together, whack a border on it and call it done. :-)

Put sashings in between each block, if you still don't like it donate it.
    Someone will be grateful.

Personally, I kind of like it!! Lots of bright colors... :-)

What's the name of the pattern?

I like it! makes me think of something very" homey" something I would see in a log cabin on a couch by a nice fire.

Blog Entries

I didn't read everyone's posts so I may be repeating but I have found in my small stuff that when I make something I thought was a good idea and really hated it when I got done- I took it up to the store I sell to and every single one that I hated someone bought!

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean someone else might think it is fantastic!

It is amazing how others view what we dislike! Each to their own!

I also think each work has a charm of it's own if just for the fact that it was made by a loving quilter's hand. Each is unique in it's own right!

I have passed them on through Salvation Army and such. If they are going to find someone that will enjoy them enough to finish or re-purpose them, they won't find that person sitting in the back of the closet.

I have also toned down some too-stark quilts with a quick overdye in a light tan, and it made a great difference.

Cathe....I just made one myself! I followed a pattern and the 'jelly roll' that I bought at the LQS only to find out when finished...she made her own w/that brand and called it the name the company calls it. It is soooo ugly that I wouldn't even tuck a chicken under it:)I kept sewing thinking'it will look better soon'...nope! I have tucked it out of sight for it makes me mad at the moment;)I am thinking I am going to cut it up and then 'stack and whack' it:)If anything I will feel better from the work out of it all:)But, am hoping it will mix it up enough to become more pleasing to the eye:)Don't know if that helps or not:)Skeat

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    I think this would look awesome done in the disappearing nine patch method. If you don't want to mess with it anymore, send it to me and I'll try it for you. I think it would be really fun to transform it somehow. Honestly, though, let me know.

I have made a few that were not my favorites when finished. I did finish them and my DD love them. To each their own.

Cathe, if you alternate every other block with a square block with no diamond in it, you would have a very cute star pattern. I think you might like it more if you can get some brown florals for the plain blocks, and if the plain blocks are all the same will give a bit more of a planned look, and more of an earthy tone. I think it might come out nice if you play around with it a bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    It is soooo ugly that I wouldn't even tuck a chicken under it
    LOL I am trying to imagine how ugly that is?

Cathe- I like it! Very cheerful!
    Our guild donates quilts to different causes. Right now we are working on some for the police. When they take kids from drug houses they have to take the kids out naked. Assuming that what the children are wearing is contaminated with drug chemicals. The police use the quilts to wrap the children and then the child gets to keep it.
    We have ladies that prefer to only do the tops. I like to practice my quilting so I take tops and finish them. Teamwork! I bet you have a group somewhere nearby or you can send it here and I'll do it for you.

I see where your coming from......and it's not like your other quilts at all.....a little to cheerie.......But look at it this way it is for out side and it is good enough for there...and once you get your borders on it will make a big difference....keep plucking away.....it's for outside and made of scraps......it will be nice for outside.....now repeat.....:-)

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    It is soooo ugly that I wouldn't even tuck a chicken under it
    LOL I am trying to imagine how ugly that is?
    It means it is really ugly:)LOL

Hoooooo Weeeeee girls now that is ugly.....:-).....lol

OK - I made another one, with a smaller color range (clean blues and purples), and with more medium value fabrics rather than just darks and lights. I like it much better, and I look forward to hanging it on my porch!

(Again, I have just stuck the blocks up on my design wall - the quilt isn't sewn up yet.)

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...porchquilt.jpg[/IMG]

:D I am much happier now!

If that quilt is ugly (Boy am I in trouble here) I like it... :-) :-) :-) I can't imagine doing all those blocks and just whipping up another that quick boy do I have a longgggg way to go...I thought the chicken tucking was funny :mrgreen: :mrgreen: send to me and I will tuck my husband under it in a minute...

It wasn't that it was ugly -- I just didn't like it, and I really didn't want to use it for the intended purpose. My house is not cosy or country - it's a big Victorian "farmhouse" in an old neighborhood with beautiful houses (it's a rental! :lol: ). So something traditional and slightly more elegant is in order. The blue and purple one will look good.

Blog Entries
    One thing you can do is make up the quilt and then tea-dye or over-dye the whole thing. This can mute the high contrasts and tie together the disparate colors. Years ago a woman showed before and after pictures of a quilt she tea-dyed after quilting; it looked great!

Love your new colours Cathe :) :) :) very elegant :)

I like the new one better too.... but I still like the old one! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2