Thread: Oh, Dear Jane!
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 01:05 PM
WesternWilson

Several years ago, when I began quilting, I thought...once I am better at this, I will try that Dear Jane quilt! Well, I am better, although I wonder if I am really ready for this project!

Nonetheless, I went ahead and bought the software, and pre-ordered most of the soon-to-be-released Dear Jane II fabric line. I thought that line could guide my colour choices (for my first and possibly last DJ, I thought I would largely copy the original, just pushing the colour range away from the browns and rusts and into misty blues and purples.).

I browsed through some of the DJ threads already here and find I need more concentrated advice...forgive a noob!

Before I start, I thought I would ask around for advice from Dear Jane veterans on how to approach the project.

Which brings me to my first question:
1. What is a good way to approach the fabric acquisition?
(I read on this list that a good design approach to use is to work from the centre of the quilt out to keep the colours harmonized...makes good sense to me! I will start with H-7, Bennington Star, as I have been working hard on my HST skills lately!!...and I love yellow and white...)

2. What do you recommend as the sashing/background fabric?
I ordered Kona "Snow" but can change that if it does not work best with the DJ2 fabrics.

3. The software calls for 16 yards of the sashing/background...is that for the front only or is that for front AND backing??

4. I have seen white on white prints used as that background/sashing fabric...does that work better than a plain solid?

5. What was your very favourite fabric that you used in your DJ quilt?

Past those immediate questions, I would welcome any advice of the "wish
I had known THAT when I started/wish I had done THAT when I started"
variety!

Thanks so much for any help or advice.

Regards,
Janet