Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh, Dear Jane! >

Oh, Dear Jane!

Oh, Dear Jane!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson
Originally Posted by jillaine
I have never paper-pieced and this is what is keeping me from starting my own DJ (that and I haven't figured out what color/fabric approach to take).

-- jillaine
I wonder if we should choose one representative block suitable for paper piecing (and learning paper piecing) and I will do a little photo-blog of tackling the construction as a noob paper piecer?

From the DJ site:
Suggested pieced blocks to start with: M-10, A-6, A-8, B-13, D-13 Applique blocks to start with: D-3, C-9, B-1, E-10 (the background is pieced, but this is a good place to start practicing your "melons").

What block would you experienced DJaner's recommend?

Regards,
Janet
H-7 is a good one. And A-2 or A-5 (But I'm far from experienced!)
Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by jillaine
DottyD, your piecing is exquisite. had you already lots of paper piecing experience when you started DJ? I have never paper-pieced and this is what is keeping me from starting my own DJ (that and I haven't figured out what color/fabric approach to take).

-- jillaine
Thank you so much for your kind reply, I had not done much PP before Dear Jane and avoid it if there is another way to do that particular block !!!!!. Sometimes though, you just have to - I had done some PP in a class I took - with bigger pieces of fabric - but my little grey cells find the "mirror imaging " difficult on some of the blocks i.e F8 Church Window. The outside border has to be turned !! But, as with most methods, practice makes it better. I only asked on here the other day about applique, and how to get sharp points on melon shapes, and got some really helpful replies.
Thanks again and I hope you soon decide on colours and start you journey, you really will be glad you did !!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 AM

Brenda Papadakis is teaching a week long class at the Empty Spools seminars in CA next year.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 AM

I attended an Empty Spools this year. I hope Brenda Papadakis does what some instructors do, which is close the class to repeat attendees. The seminar I took was great, but filled with "groupies" who were taking the class for second and third times. It made things crowded and tough on beginners.

I am working my way through a first attempt at paper piecing using the "sew along the paper fold" method used by Judy Mathieson (there was a Quilt Show episode in Season 7 (707??) featuring her method and it looked sensible. Might help with the "reverse and upside down" thing that I also do not do well.

Gosh, that DJ posted above...beautiful!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM

Ok, I have finished my first Dear Jane block!

I made it in a black and white floral print (by Mary Englebreit, "Attitude Girls" below) and Kona "Snow". I thought that would show up mistakes better, and now it strikes me how lovely a black and white Dear Jane would be.... ;-)

I used Judy Mathieson's paper piecing method where you fold the freezer paper back and sew beside the paper fold (that way you do not have to rip the paper off the finished sewing lines after as you do not sew through the paper).

Verdict...pretty darned nice (lousy phone shot below)! I did bury three of the four points just by a hair, likely sewing too close to the paper fold; I will make it again (relaxed this time) and see if that fixes things.

Regards,
Janet

Attitude Girls
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211447[/ATTACH]

C-5 First Dear Jane block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211448[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211441.jpe   attachment-211442.jpe  
Old 06-30-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by DottyD
I had not done much PP before Dear Jane and avoid it if there is another way to do that particular block !!!!!. Sometimes though, you just have to - I had done some PP in a class I took - with bigger pieces of fabric - but my little grey cells find the "mirror imaging " difficult on some of the blocks i.e F8 Church Window.
With a bunch of world-wide friends I am starting a Contemporary Jane ... we are blogging about the blocks as we go ... I just finished A-2 which I managed to whittle down to 28 pieces (from 44) and piece very accurately using what I call the quick 45 method.

My plan is to use whatever method is "easiest" for that block. Hand piecing for most curves, hand applique for odd things and machine or hand piecing for everything else. I've been bitten and am hoping I might be contagious .. loving the bright unusual colors. This quilt is all about me and I'm not afraid to change the patterns. I am sometimes reversing the fabric placement so that my "contemporary" fabric is always the background and using a teal my accent / 2nd color. I figure there will be a million Janes out there and am looking forward to making this one mine :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218961.jpe   attachment-218962.png  
Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Peawink, that block is lovely! It should foundation piece nicely, as well. I would not want to sew all those teensy, tiny triangles myself!

I have seen some brightly coloured DJ's...they really are wonderful.

Regards,
Janet
Old 07-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson
Peawink, that block is lovely! It should foundation piece nicely, as well. I would not want to sew all those teensy, tiny triangles myself!

I have seen some brightly coloured DJ's...they really are wonderful.

Regards,
Janet
Dear Janet .. not a single triangle was cut or sewn. I used what I call the quick 45 method and am going to post how I made this block tomorrow on our group blog. http://under-the-willowtree.blogspot.com/ The best part about this method is that you can cut down on a bunch of the seams.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219433.jpe  
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Looking forward to seeing that post!

Janet