Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Jamiestitcher62

Originally Posted by Lyn
Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Lyn, you give some really good advice. So here's one for you. I have a 9 year old very small female princess (tuxedo cat). I got her when my sister died for comfort and I spoiled the crap out of her, I also had a large male cat who was 7 at the time she came along and we just put him down at 16 because of medical issues, anyway, they got along fine, but she was starting to bother him because he was old and she wasn't.

With the older cat gone, my female is lonely, I think, because she is sleeping in his spots where his smell is. Will she get over it or do I need to run out and get another cat for her and will she accept another cat at this point. Is it ok to be a one cat household or do they really want company?
First of all thank you for your confidence in me. Second of all I am sorry for your loss. This picture is of my two boys who never knew each other at first but got along famously. The orange one, Diego, died suddenly of a heart attack. The grey brown one, Freckles, had a tough time of it. He would sleep in every place they had been. He even laid at the front door where Diego had collapsed. It was tough. My thoughts are if you are home a lot you can see if after a while your baby can get over it. It took Freckles 3 months. I had other cats that helped him play. If your female is having troubles and you don't mind having another cat, I would look into a12 to 16 week old kitten or really a teenager. The smell of mama is gone from the kitten. It will make your female young again even though at first she will hiss and fuss. I feel cats are better in twos (although I have taken that to the extreme :) ) The best toy you can get for a cat is another cat. Oh yeah, Freckles has bonded with the most crotchety old smelly female I have. She hates him. She snarls and hisses at him but he loves her anyways by rubbing his head on hers.

Aawwww, your babies are adorable. I have always had two kitties and now just having one seems weird. We work all day and we don't let her out until we get home in the evening, so she only goes outside for about 4 hours a day during the week. I could go for another one, but my husband doesn't want pets at all but is resigned to the fact that he has no say at all. I just wanted to make sure that if I decided on not getting another kitty, that my Schmoo wouldn't be adversely affected by being alone.