Thread: Why is it..
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Tippy

OK.. now for my 2 cents.. I too have lived near Amish communities.. there must be varying degrees of faithfullness to the old ways as the Amish in the area of my hometown do not use sewing machines.. all of their work is by hand.. needle and thread. An Amish quilt there indicates all cotton, generally black and bright or sometimes pastel colors.. no prints. Also different regions will use or not use varying colors.. some don't use green. Designs are usually fairly simple and geometric. There are also Mennonites who do use machines and might use some patterned fabric. As far as putting on a cap and having a picture taken.. I hate to tell you, but true Amish, fundamentalist, if you will, do not allow pictures to be taken, that would be a graven image and against their faith. Does this mean that all Amish quilts are superior.. heck no.. I've seen some I wouldn't want to claim either. However most of the ones I've seen for sale were of excellent quality.
I've sold a few things. I had a 36"x45" wall hanging all stitched by hand (needle and thread) and I charged $250. That was in the 80's. If I was to piece and quilt a full sized quilt to sell of a "common" pattern I wouldn't consider it for less than $1,000. I work full time and my free time does not come cheap.