Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is it.. >

Why is it..

Why is it..

Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

stunning quilt dojo and worth every penny you'd ask for it.

i'm with you - its all related to your local community and the value that it places on artisans.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
well - if i machine pieced and hand quilting your log cabin (it looks to be a twin size) i would charge $1200 and my clients would pay it.

i guess this really does come down to where you live and what the people in your area are willing to pay for art.

the amount of hours you've put into that log cabin would warrant that price or more.
i'm a new york girl, and i know sleepy hollow. that location can demand much higher prices than a place that isn't in a well-known, new york suburb.

i understand what you're saying and i have made that same point many times - location, location, location - but it's not fair to say that that can be the going price all over.

obviously, you can't charge more than the traffic will bear. charging $1200.00 and having no buyers is kind of self-defeating. you have to locate an outlet for your work, either a gift shop in a vacation area or a downtown in an upper-class area, where there are people who can afford to spend that much money. in a tight economy, handmade quilts are not a necessity. only those who can really afford 'extras' will buy them.

the quilter is the only person who can decide what her time and effort is worth. if she can't get that amount, should she still do it and earn almost nothing for her skill?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by gcathie
This is true the word "Amish" is what sells.....I too live near Amish towns and sell my things there....I too have seen the ladies use sewing machines.....and when they quilt it is like a quilting bee....they have seems like ten people surrounding the strechers and all are sewing...hence the different size in stitches.....:-)....They are pretty but the same designs over and over.....but they make there money from doing other peoples quilts .....when you get that many setting around a quilt it would go fast.....maybe we need to bring the bee back into our homes....just food for thought ...:-).....any way my stuff goes to the basement where no one goes because it is done on the machine.....ahhh life isn't fair.....Oh they also claim ...if it is hand quilted it is Amish when I did it and I'm not Amish....what a kick.....:-).....Life is such a Beautuful thing.....:-)
they not only work factory-style, they also farm them out to other amish ladies. someone may make the blocks, another sash them together, another batt and back them ready for stitching and someone else stitch, either by hand or machine. the operative word is 'amish'. that doesn't mean good quality (or bad quality). it just means amish. in the ohio area, it also means florals and other prints. you'd have a hard time differentiating them from mine.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Banned

i agree that location is critical when pricing. art is viewed differently in various locations and worth is not equally distributed around the country.

i do live in a wealthy area of our country that happens to put a highly value on art and artisans.

i do believe others here do exceptional work and with the internet they too can have access to people willing to purchase their work.

their is a lady on ebay that has made a reputation on ebay selling quilt tops for 200-350 and they are the size of a throw.

it just takes time to build up a name and a business. the first few might sell for less than you like but after you have a reputation the price goes up.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 AM

I live in Central Pa and along side the Amish. I bought my Janome at a quilt store that sells to the Amish all of the time. He is able to rig the Janome's up to treadle devices. The Amish are using the same machines as you and I . I go regularly to Amish homes where they sell their quilts. Some have them stacked 50 high to go through. They make quilts with pattern fabrics for "The English" to buy. They are not any better quality then ours. They are generally machine peiced and hand quilted. Dragonomine I would like the add to your comment about seeing Amish in the stores wearing pattern fabrics and driving cars. I beleive what you are seeing are Monnonite ladies. It is an offshoot of Amish, but not Amish. True Amish ony wear solids and drive buggies. They will "cross the line" for some things but generally not on those two points.