Thread: Why is it..
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 07:13 AM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by gcathie
This is true the word "Amish" is what sells.....I too live near Amish towns and sell my things there....I too have seen the ladies use sewing machines.....and when they quilt it is like a quilting bee....they have seems like ten people surrounding the strechers and all are sewing...hence the different size in stitches.....:-)....They are pretty but the same designs over and over.....but they make there money from doing other peoples quilts .....when you get that many setting around a quilt it would go fast.....maybe we need to bring the bee back into our homes....just food for thought ...:-).....any way my stuff goes to the basement where no one goes because it is done on the machine.....ahhh life isn't fair.....Oh they also claim ...if it is hand quilted it is Amish when I did it and I'm not Amish....what a kick.....:-).....Life is such a Beautuful thing.....:-)
they not only work factory-style, they also farm them out to other amish ladies. someone may make the blocks, another sash them together, another batt and back them ready for stitching and someone else stitch, either by hand or machine. the operative word is 'amish'. that doesn't mean good quality (or bad quality). it just means amish. in the ohio area, it also means florals and other prints. you'd have a hard time differentiating them from mine.