Thread: Why is it..
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 AM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
well - if i machine pieced and hand quilting your log cabin (it looks to be a twin size) i would charge $1200 and my clients would pay it.

i guess this really does come down to where you live and what the people in your area are willing to pay for art.

the amount of hours you've put into that log cabin would warrant that price or more.
i'm a new york girl, and i know sleepy hollow. that location can demand much higher prices than a place that isn't in a well-known, new york suburb.

i understand what you're saying and i have made that same point many times - location, location, location - but it's not fair to say that that can be the going price all over.

obviously, you can't charge more than the traffic will bear. charging $1200.00 and having no buyers is kind of self-defeating. you have to locate an outlet for your work, either a gift shop in a vacation area or a downtown in an upper-class area, where there are people who can afford to spend that much money. in a tight economy, handmade quilts are not a necessity. only those who can really afford 'extras' will buy them.

the quilter is the only person who can decide what her time and effort is worth. if she can't get that amount, should she still do it and earn almost nothing for her skill?