Thread: Corn Meal Mush
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Carol's Quilts

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
Even in Ontario we ate "cornmeal" cooked as Carol's Quilts recipe. Never had scrapple style until I travelled.
European lady taught me to eat it with butter, brown sugar and sprinkled with cinnamon -still eat that for breakfast.

Friends from Italy eat their cornmeal cooked same way but when finished stir in tomato (spagetti) sauce added grated cheese and serve as we would mashed potatoes but call it "polenta" Enjoy it anyway it's fixed because it is a good grain food and VERY inexpensive for families.

Our cormeal is courser ground than a box of Jiffy Mix muffins. Anyone remember calling it "Johnny Cake"? As a hobby I follow these food similarities in different areas.
You cannot make mush from Jiffy corn muffin mix. That has flour in it and it makes a quick bread (unyeasted).

Johnnycakes are also different. They are not made from cooked cornmeal. They are made with dry cornmeal, have eggs in the batter, and are prepared like pancakes. Somewhat similar but not the same. Perhaps some of our southern members can more adequately explain johnnycakes.