Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Corn Meal Mush

I am from Indiana living in Tennessee. In Indy I grew up on corn meal mush, I just assumed it was from the South. I went into the store here looking for it and couldn't find it so I decided to ask someone. They looked at me like I had horns coming out of my head. :lol:

So tell me how many people have heard of corn meal mush and how do you fix it? Me, I slice mine and fry it in bacon grease with salt & pepper.

verna2197

i have had it

Had it as a kid. It was fried and served with maple syrup.

Blog Entries
    The south likes grits....same family different taste. I think you want cornmeal to make the mush from. I'll see if I can find a link for you.
    Here is a place to start :) http://tomsdomain.com/recipes/mush.htm

Blog Entries
    Sliced and fried, with and without syrup or butter and brown sugar :D:D:D

I can't believe you are asking about mush, we were just talking about it last night. I use to make it all the time,fry it and serve it up with maple syrup. I use to make it in a loaf pan, mush was made with cornmeal @ night place it in the fridge till morning turn the loaf pan over on a plate,slice it and fry it in grease. Loved that stuff! Michele

a regular here
    Slice it,fry it and top with maple syrup. YUM!!!!

I have had it, but called it polenta. YUM!!

Blog Entries
    my mom used to boil it in water, abit of sugar and we used milk on it, of course I could never eat it, or oatmeal, i would gag and well i'm sure you get the idea. awful just gawd awful

I have heard it called polenta and made it with cornmeal and water and cooked it down and then put into a pan and refrigerated it to set up. Then I sliced and fried it. You can also get it in a roll a thet store already made and looks like a roll of sausage.

Blog Entries
    My mother used to make mush when I lived at home. First we would have the thick soupy mush with milk a bit of sugar..rather like oatmeal. Then she would pour it in a loaf pan and it would set up. She would fry it until crispy on the outside and serve with butter and syrup.
    I was thinking about mush a few weeks ago. On Memorial day weekend hubby and I were in Lancaster PA. We found a new place to eat breakfast. They served it on their buffet. It was great. It reminded me of home.
    Peace and Blessings,

My grandmother used to make it all the time. She would serve it with maple syrup. Or if money was really tight, light Karo syrup. I never cared for it much. I prefered (and still do) grits.

Interestingly, though, my grandmother is originally from Seattle, Washington. As is the majority of her family with a few (long ago) originating in Michigan.

Blog Entries
    We used to have corn meal mush all the time when I was a kid ... now they call it polenta. We'd eat it like hot cereal for breakfast then slice and fry the leftovers later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    The south likes grits....same family different taste. I think you want cornmeal to make the mush from. I'll see if I can find a link for you.
    Here is a place to start :) http://tomsdomain.com/recipes/mush.htm
    Thank you I will have to try and do this. I love Fried Mush and it is so hard to find down here. Was just in Indy and bought me 2 rolls of it.

Blog Entries
    So easy to make your own. Here's one recipe.Also easy to make in microwave.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/fried-c...sh/Detail.aspx

Awesome Thanks everyone. I never knew you could make your own. Actually just didn't even think about it. I am going to try and make some soon as I use what I just purchased.

Does anyone know if you can freeze this?

Where I'm from (southern VA) we had a version called scrapple. We boiled scraps from pork, trimmings from pork chops etc and added various spices...poultry seasoning, sage, garlic, salt pepper and whatever else you desired...spicier the better then after cooking off scraps removed them and added the yellow cornmeal...cooked til very thick and pour into a small loaf pan, cool and refrigerate...slice and flour and fry in butter or oil...served with whatever you desire...a form of polenta, of course I had never heard of polenta til several years ago on cooking shows LOL

central PA and love it, I eat min e both ways...prefer the fried method, only with Kings syrup on it...yum! but sometimes eat like oatmeal too...Good for you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee G
    Me too, didn't like it then...

formerly Chicago suburb now Mooresville,NC
    It is one of my DH favorite breakfasts. Doesn't get it often, just as a treat. It was something he grew up having. I just married into it. We too moved South and couldn't find it and so I just buy a several boxes when we go up North. I tried what they call cornmeal down South but it is like flour. We used to get it from a mill and it was more gritty and delicious fried. DH likes it with butter and maple syrup. Bob Evans Restaurants have it on the menu for $2.99 for two tiny little slices. It cost less than that for a whole bag plus DH would need about four serving or more.

Blog Entries
    Same here.I remember Mom & Grma frying mush using bacon grease....Yum! They also made their own syrup with sugar,water,butter & a drop of maple or vanilla.MIL kept mush in a stone crock & just removed it as needed.This was in the winter,but with 5 kids to feed, doubt it lasted long.

Quote Originally Posted by kashu
    It is one of my DH favorite breakfasts. Doesn't get it often, just as a treat. It was something he grew up having. I just married into it. We too moved South and couldn't find it and so I just buy a several boxes when we go up North. I tried what they call cornmeal down South but it is like flour. We used to get it from a mill and it was more gritty and delicious fried. DH likes it with butter and maple syrup. Bob Evans Restaurants have it on the menu for $2.99 for two tiny little slices. It cost less than that for a whole bag plus DH would need about four serving or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee G

Ditto!!! The only way to eat it.

Blog Entries
    I still consider myself a Hoosier despite living in NY for 40 years. I love to make my version of corn meal scrapple on the week-end. I cook the cornmeal until it is really thick and then stir in some browned (and broken into small pieces ) of hot italian sausage. Refrigerate then cut into slices and brown in oil or butter.

Blog Entries
    Grma was Pennsylvania Dutch & she made scrapple too.Usually with pork sausage,as Grpa raised hogs.She served it for lunch with fried eggs on the side.All the posts bring back many memories.

Quote Originally Posted by grocifer
    I still consider myself a Hoosier despite living in NY for 40 years. I love to make my version of corn meal scrapple on the week-end. I cook the cornmeal until it is really thick and then stir in some browned (and broken into small pieces ) of hot italian sausage. Refrigerate then cut into slices and brown in oil or butter.

I'm so surprised to find out so many of you from various states know and love mush. I always thought mush and scrapple were Pennsylvania specialties, specifically Pennsylvania Dutch, Amish, Mennonite (maybe that's why Ohio and Indiana are familiar with it) and the Philadelphia area - Pittsburgh, too! I've eaten and loved fried mush all my life - just made it last week.

Look for polenta (Italian) in the refrigerated section of your store. They should have that. Of course, you want it unseasoned except for salt - then it's the same as mush.

The secret to getting it really crisp is to dredge each slice in flour before frying. Of course, use bacon drippings for frying to make it really yummy. Then we served it with butter and maple syrup, and yes, we often made our own syrup as has already been posted.

We use the recipe on the Quaker Brand corn meal box. Here it is:

4 cups water
    1 cup corn meal
    1 teas. salt

Bring 3 cups water to a boil. Combine remaining water, corn meal and salt; slowing pour into boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently. Cover, continue cooking over VERY LOW heat for 5 minutes.

Serve as is (like any hot cereal) however you like, with milk, butter, brown sugar, syrup, honey, etc.,

OR

Pour into a greased loaf pan, allow to cool, refrigerate until completely solid. Remove, slice, flour and fry. Serve with butter and maple syrup, honey, light molasses, whatever you like.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast