Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Corn Meal Mush

Quote Originally Posted by verna2197
    Awesome Thanks everyone. I never knew you could make your own. Actually just didn't even think about it. I am going to try and make some soon as I use what I just purchased.

Does anyone know if you can freeze this?
    It will keep well for several days in the fridge, but no, it does not freeze well. When it thaws, it will crumble and be difficult to slice and fry.

If the recipe makes too much for you, cut the recipe in half and mold it in mini loaf pans (you can use the disposable ones).

Blog Entries
    awesome I am going to try these recipes. I am still going to try and freeze some I think I will do the same as I do with my green tomatoes. Slice it before I freeze it, just make sure I don't thaw it out. Just take out of the freezer and put into the skillet. Do the same with green tomatoes and they are awesome.

My mother fixed this all the time. Boiling water and cornmeal till just the right consistency. Pour into slightly greased loaf pan and when cool turn it out and slice it and fry it. She also made ponhaus (sp) but adding some liver pudding when it was cooking.

Just make up a batch of mush and let set in fridge until it is stiff. Slice and fry. I llove it.

awesome I am going to try these recipes. I am still going to try and freeze some I think I will do the same as I do with my green tomatoes. Slice it before I freeze it, just make sure I don't thaw it out. Just take out of the freezer and put into the skillet. Do the same with green tomatoes and they are awesome.
    Go ahead and try freezing it, but I'm afraid that because there will be so much water in it that it will sizzle and spit and be hard to fry and I know that it will take forever for it to brown and crisp. The packages of mush we can buy in the grocery store are all marked "Do Not Freeze".

Blog Entries
    My son fixed it once and it had the consistency close to soft mashed potatoes. It wasn't sweet, but savory. It was delicious.

Blog Entries
    oh wow I didn't even think about all the water in it your right. Thanks for mentioning that.

That's the way I used to make it, too. I don't remember my mother making it but grandma did. I haven''t done it in a long time. Maybe this weekend. Will it freeze? I doubt that he grandsons will eat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    My mother used to make mush when I lived at home. First we would have the thick soupy mush with milk a bit of sugar..rather like oatmeal. Then she would pour it in a loaf pan and it would set up. She would fry it until crispy on the outside and serve with butter and syrup.
    I was thinking about mush a few weeks ago. On Memorial day weekend hubby and I were in Lancaster PA. We found a new place to eat breakfast. They served it on their buffet. It was great. It reminded me of home.
    Peace and Blessings,

You FROZE green tomatoes? Awesome, I will try it, nbody in my houe eats them except me and it is not always easy to find green ones to buy.

My sisters and I grew up on it. We loved it. Maple syrup, butter, blueberry syrup. We put everything on it.

grandma made corn mush i hated it but was real little never have had it since. that was in NC.
    What I can't find here is scrapple. So far never had a problem finding it except here in Kansas. I was introduced to it in Va. thought it would be hard to find in Ca but it was there.

As a child we would eat it like a hot cereal in a bowl.My father had it a a child so he thought we should too. I hated it....until I went to Italy and found polenta that has some cheese added to it and sometimes is poured out on a board and topped with cooked vegtables.

My mom made it with pork neck bones. She would boil the bones and us kids would pick off the meat then she would boil the cornmeal in the pork stock. Oh, it was soooo good. We would fry it in butter and put syrup on it. I have been wanting some for a long time but not can't find neck bones in the stores anymore. What memories!!!

I fix mine like you do. I live in the south and can't find it in the stores here. I buy it in Ohio when visiting and bring it home.

It is made the same way you make livermush only you use only corn meal and broth or water and seasoning (ie salt black pepper your choice). Add corn meal to boiling liquid, stirring until it thickens to the point it is hard to stir. Pour into a dish or loaf pan chill slice and fry.

When I was a kid, the best hot lunch my mom could have ready was a bowl of corn meal mush with a dab of butter and a big spoon of sour cream on top.
    Yum!
    Now I can buy a 'tube' of polenta, cut it and fry it up and eat it the same way.
    Yum, again!

It is midwest food I believe since my mother was from Ohio and she fixed it often. I do not recall ever seeing it on menu in the south. Take care.
    Linda

This is so coincidental! Some girlfriends and I were just talking about this. My Mom made it in a loaf pan and put in the fridge overnight. Then sliced it, fried it and served with syrup. I think I'll make some!

Is corn meal mush like polenta? I buy packaged polenta in the store and make it, and then chill, slice and fry like grits. The only difference for me is that it is yellow, the grits white and the grits are bleached.

Even in Ontario we ate "cornmeal" cooked as Carol's Quilts recipe. Never had scrapple style until I travelled.
    European lady taught me to eat it with butter, brown sugar and sprinkled with cinnamon -still eat that for breakfast.

Friends from Italy eat their cornmeal cooked same way but when finished stir in tomato (spagetti) sauce added grated cheese and serve as we would mashed potatoes but call it "polenta" Enjoy it anyway it's fixed because it is a good grain food and VERY inexpensive for families.

Our cormeal is courser ground than a box of Jiffy Mix muffins. Anyone remember calling it "Johnny Cake"? As a hobby I follow these food similarities in different areas.

I was raised in KS, and mother made it when we were kids.Just the cornmeal, water and salt, and fried it...we
    didn't put anything else in it or on it. I haven't even thought about it for years. We had ours for supper...never
    for breakfast. Doesn't much matter when you eat it, if you
    like it. Never thought that a store might sell it so never
    looked for it there.

My mom used to make that but it was not one of my favorites so I never paid attention to how she fixed it.

This is how my mother would make and serve it when I was a little kid. When polenta became so popular and was considered such a progressive and "new" culinary dish, I would just laugh at how silly it sounded listening to these youngsters (Im in my 50's) carry on so. It was filling, and cheap and Mother had 5 mouths to feed after my daddy died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    My mother used to make mush when I lived at home. First we would have the thick soupy mush with milk a bit of sugar..rather like oatmeal. Then she would pour it in a loaf pan and it would set up. She would fry it until crispy on the outside and serve with butter and syrup.
    I was thinking about mush a few weeks ago. On Memorial day weekend hubby and I were in Lancaster PA. We found a new place to eat breakfast. They served it on their buffet. It was great. It reminded me of home.
    Peace and Blessings,

Blog Entries
    Wow, I thought I was one of the few who like cornmeal mush. I eat it as a hot cereal with milk (or half & half) and then slice and fry any leftover to go with breakfast. I thought it was an old recipe from the south.

Raised in Pennsylvania lived in Ohio. Corn meal mush was a staple in the family. Moved South in retirement and found no one knew anything about corn meal mush. How odd, corn is a staple in the South. Bob Evans restaurants saved the day. They serve corn meal mush on their breakfast menus. All golden brown and crispy.
    I like to make like you described.
    Severna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast