View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM
JanTx

My husband of 37 years has always supported me in everything I do. And sometimes it's even helpful! :)

I'm making a lap quilt for a favorite student of his - he retired from teaching this year. I'd already made several grad quilts and hadn't planned on this one, but no problem.

I back this sort of quilt with sheets - simply can't spend too much. So I cut off the selvage with the cute little color circles and send him off to get tan/brown that will work. He comes back with ...

orange. Okay, a pretty burnt orange that does match the color circle so readjust my mental view, open the package to find .....

a fitted sheet. Hmmmm. A twin sheet works beautifully. A twin FLAT sheet that is, but he was charged $2 only so I'll make this work. Cut off all the elastic - it's all the way around on a twin. Cut out the seams that make it fitted. Find that it's ...

3" too short. So now... have to decide whether to just blow that $2 or to go back and try again. I could piece it - maybe - it would be awfully close, but isn't that the purpose of buying sheets in the first place - so you don't have to piece them?

So thanks Honey! Really... Thanks! :)

NOTE: He's awesome on a Shop Hop. He has a much better eye for color than I do and loves to play with all the quilters there. He has so much patience with this sort of thing - it's just hard to go orange when you're thinking tan and hard to work at something that you just can't get to work!