Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
helpful supportive husband >

helpful supportive husband

helpful supportive husband

Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM

My husband of 37 years has always supported me in everything I do. And sometimes it's even helpful! :)

I'm making a lap quilt for a favorite student of his - he retired from teaching this year. I'd already made several grad quilts and hadn't planned on this one, but no problem.

I back this sort of quilt with sheets - simply can't spend too much. So I cut off the selvage with the cute little color circles and send him off to get tan/brown that will work. He comes back with ...

orange. Okay, a pretty burnt orange that does match the color circle so readjust my mental view, open the package to find .....

a fitted sheet. Hmmmm. A twin sheet works beautifully. A twin FLAT sheet that is, but he was charged $2 only so I'll make this work. Cut off all the elastic - it's all the way around on a twin. Cut out the seams that make it fitted. Find that it's ...

3" too short. So now... have to decide whether to just blow that $2 or to go back and try again. I could piece it - maybe - it would be awfully close, but isn't that the purpose of buying sheets in the first place - so you don't have to piece them?

So thanks Honey! Really... Thanks! :)

NOTE: He's awesome on a Shop Hop. He has a much better eye for color than I do and loves to play with all the quilters there. He has so much patience with this sort of thing - it's just hard to go orange when you're thinking tan and hard to work at something that you just can't get to work!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 PM

He sounds like a great guy. Do you have some pieces of the fabrics used in the quilt top that you could use as a kind of border on the sheet?

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 PM

oops! He tried!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 PM

English is my husband's 4th language. He asked me for razor chargers (refills) and zipper bags (he meant zip ties, I bought zip locks). You would not believe the miscommunications, even after 9 yrs of marriage.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 PM

lol, i would tell him i "accidentally" cut it too short and just go get another one. keep that one for another project!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:31 PM

I say he gets an A for effort!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 PM

an "A" for effort definately! I didn't even let him see how hard I was working to get it to work. I don't want to discourage him! I may have enough of the outer border to add to the backing - maybe. THink I'll go look first and see if there is a flat sheet. Don't know why the fitted one scanned for $2, but if there is a flat one and it scans the same it's MINE!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx
an "A" for effort definately! I didn't even let him see how hard I was working to get it to work. I don't want to discourage him! I may have enough of the outer border to add to the backing - maybe. THink I'll go look first and see if there is a flat sheet. Don't know why the fitted one scanned for $2, but if there is a flat one and it scans the same it's MINE!
------------------------
Be sure to take some sample of the first sheet with you. And just think, you might find several others that will scan 2 dollars each!!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 PM

Ooooo what crafty thinkers we are! I may do that - just as a matter of course next time I'm at Walmart - but for now .. I think I do have enough to cut off the long side and add to the short side - not optimal piecing for a back, but for this purpose it will do. OR I can cut a wee bit off top and bottom and use it as is. I got over being aggravated so ... several solutions come to mind, but ... I WILL be scanning those sheets!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
English is my husband's 4th language. He asked me for razor chargers (refills) and zipper bags (he meant zip ties, I bought zip locks). You would not believe the miscommunications, even after 9 yrs of marriage.
Wow - that must be a challenge! We had enough mis-speaks in the early years of our marriage with him being from a slightly different part of the country. I had a sofa and he had a divan. I ate supper and he ate dinner. My frig was his ice box. so I can't imagine what fun you guys have!