Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Helpful husband

Helpful husband

We are reseeding the lawn, all 5000 sq. ft. of it. While I am spreading grass seed around, my husband is doing other outside chores. This morning wee are getting ready to head outside. He says he has a few things to do in the shop so he will be close by if I need help. Then he says..........."I would be even closer if I was in the study playing computer games, if you need any help".......lol

It's gonna be a rather warm day today.........somewhere between 100-108 degrees they say.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    That's a lot of seeding! There is always a comedian around isn't there.

Is this the time to be reseeding with temperatures so high?? It seems that the whole western section of the USA is enduring triple digit temperatures.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Is this the time to be reseeding with temperatures so high?? It seems that the whole western section of the USA is enduring triple digit temperatures.
    The triple digits are supposed to be around for a few days. We water in the evenings till about 10 pm. That way the moisture can seep into the ground. The way our seasons are up here, the grass needs a jump start on winter. I need to be able to give it two feedings before the snow starts to fly.
    We have had snow in July here before.....

And it is good exercise for me to boot.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    Those temperatures generally 'melt' people in that area as they aren't used to it. Good luck with the reseeding. My DH usually makes sure he's far, far away if he thinks any weeding, mowing, etc. is going to happen. Otherwise, he's a good guy.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm in the Sacramento, CA area, we had some 105 degree temps last week Yesterday and today only into the high 90's. Then back to 100+ temps for next week. We have severe water restrictions, when we get out of the drought there will be lots of reseeding of lawns. It's so dry, hot, brown and ugly here. We plan to escape to Coo's Bay for 3 weeks in August in the RV. I can't wait.

Yep, the temperature here in the PNW Tri-Cities area is supposed to be 111 degrees today. But, the humidity is probably 18 or 19 percent, so it isn't like living in South TX.

The triple digits are even reaching us on the mountain. Usually the highest temps we get are in the low 90's, and everything is soooooooo dry that we are just a tender box waiting to go up in flames. Already had 3 major fires, one that was a lot closer than I like to see. Sure hope California gets some wet this year

Chasing Hawk, do you get to ride the seed spreader, or do you have to walk? That's a lot of seed to spread. Be sure to put sun screen on, and dress cool.

Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
    Chasing Hawk, do you get to ride the seed spreader, or do you have to walk? That's a lot of seed to spread. Be sure to put sun screen on, and dress cool.

We have one of those Scott's push spreader thingys. My husband makes sure I stay hydrated cause I tend to dehydrate rather quickly. I use a bandana soaked in cold water to keep cool as well as take frequent breaks.

I have about 4000 sq ft left to do, most of the hard stuff is over. Seeding the bare spots then shoveling a layer of compost soil over it. That is the toughest part, I should be able to tone down the turkey waddle I call my upper arm......LOL And an added plus Boko James keeps me company.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    We are reseeding the lawn, all 5000 sq. ft. of it. While I am spreading grass seed around, my husband is doing other outside chores. This morning wee are getting ready to head outside. He says he has a few things to do in the shop so he will be close by if I need help. Then he says..........."I would be even closer if I was in the study playing computer games, if you need any help".......lol

It's gonna be a rather warm day today.........somewhere between 100-108 degrees they say.
    You have my sympathy. We did ours last year. Just remember to stay hydrated, and sunscreen, lots and lots of sunscreen! Lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

rjwilder.....I, too, live in the Sacramento, CA area and we are down to watering two days a week. It is really taking a toll and these very hot temps aren't helping. I just contracted with Clark (no association...only a customer)to put something on the lawn to help trap any moisture. Don't know if it will help. Can't afford a new redo....I envy your get away plans....my DH is just starting his second week of radiation and chemo so any travel is out for a long time to come.......

And in Indiana it was 58* this am when I got up. We might hit 78* by mid afternoon. And almost constant rain. If the sun comes out all the mowers in the neighborhood start up.

Well, an update on the lawn......I have about 3/4 of the lawn left to do. Between the heat and life's adventures getting in the way. Hopefully by the end of September I will have a newly seeded lawn. Our local green thumb, suggests getting the seeding done no later than the end of Sept. so the grass has time to take root and establish before winter arrives.

My husband said I am doing a wonderful job on the lawn. I told him it's cause I want a nice looking lawn for once.

Glad your getting the lawn done. Will you have to do this every year? We don't have much yard, but my DH is always planting some new plants. He planted sweet corn in a raised bed, and I could hardly wait, but we didn't get rain for over 3 weeks, and house water doesn't do it. So, needless to say we didn't get good corn. The good news is the grass kept on growing. Good luck with your lawn, and tell your DH I said he's a keeper for helping to keep you hydrated.

Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
    Glad your getting the lawn done. Will you have to do this every year? We don't have much yard, but my DH is always planting some new plants. He planted sweet corn in a raised bed, and I could hardly wait, but we didn't get rain for over 3 weeks, and house water doesn't do it. So, needless to say we didn't get good corn. The good news is the grass kept on growing. Good luck with your lawn, and tell your DH I said he's a keeper for helping to keep you hydrated.

No Grannie, this is the first time we are doing such an extensive seeding of the lawn. We tried bringing it back over the past 6 years we have lived here. In our area for some reason grass has a hard time taking off. We have thatched, aerated and fertilized and the lawn is 75% better than when we moved in. The previous owner did not take care of it properly. There was so much dead matter under the existing grass water just ran off in places.

So with several lawn feedings before winter and a healthy dose of 16-16-16 fertilizer (for better root growth) we should have a good lawn when all is done.