View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 03:29 AM
june6995

I think I missed something in this discussion.

The trolley on which the machine sits, has a frame that "wraps around" and has a shelf on top. I find that adequate to lay out my tools. Sort of like the dentists' office. There are slots for your scissors. I keep one pair in there always, faithfully put them back after each snip. Then I keep my long tweezers for threading the needle, along with my magnifying eyeglasses so I can see to thread the needle, a crochet hook for fishing the bobbin thread when I pull it up to begin a line of stitching. I also have a small screwdriver (not sure why) and seam ripper (also for "fishing" threads)

The Speed control (which came with my machine) can be attached on the front or the back of the frame. There is no need to use the foot control to operate this machine.

I watched a long arm quilter pull her threads to the surface, at the end of her stitching, and snip them with the scissor. This works well for me.

Depending on how tightly you wind the quilt, you will have various amounts of quilting space left at the tail end of the quilt. I made some single pantographs for filling blocks and started with a 12" design and finished by reducing it to 10" and just squeezed it in.

For me, I love to do the free motion. I felt the pantograph designs, done from the back of the machine, are a bit tedious to keep the design running in a smooth motion. sometimes they were "jerky" looking, but once I began free motion quilting, I don't care to go back to doing the pantographs.

Each quilter will expect certain things from their machine. I do not aim for Professional appearing quilt designs. I do not require blocks that are filled with feathers and designs. while they are beautiful, I do not have the need to spend hours getting every stitch in place and perfectly done. They are "professional" for a reason. I enjoy the free motion that appears to be a quilt done for fun! And since my quilts go into disaster areas around the world, the idea of hours of quilting is not compatible with my reason for making quilts in the first place.

Each person who is considering the purchase of a quilting machine needs to evaluate exactly what they want to accomplish. I do not believe that the quilting machine should compete with a hand quilter.

There are all sorts of styles and reasons. Think about it and then go for the machine that will give you the best results. If you cannot afford the machine you really want, modify your expectations. I did. I know I have about 10 years worth of quilts left in me, so I want to make as many as I can before I pass my machine and frame along to someone else.

Someone mentioned a thread issue. Once you work out the kinks in the tensions, you should be able to use any kind of thread. I use only one brand in the bobbin case because the tension is set for that thread, so to save myself additional headaches, I buy that one brand for my bobbin winding. Otherwise, I have used JoAnn's cheaper cone thread with no problem. Like I have said previously, the problems I have encountered with the Bailey is usually operator related. Once you get the hang of it, it is a great little machine.

Call Chuck. He is the greatest dealer to work with.

June