Old 06-24-2011, 04:05 PM
twinkie
Power Poster

Here is another machine we have in our collection. An 1852 Grover and Baker treadle machine. It has not been cleaned up and has been in storage for about 3 years. About two months ago we were emptying two storage units that my DH got when he brought all his things from North Carolina. We were down there yesterday and I discovered this "JEWEL" of a sewing machine. It needs to be cleaned up and worked on a little but the beautiful Walnut Cabinet doesn't have a thing wrong with it. With the coffin lid on top I think it will be gorgeous. My DH reconditions and restores vintage and antique sewing machines and I can't wait till he works on this one. The mechanism of the machine works freely. What a fabulous machine and it is almost 160 years old. What stories it could tell. As it was pre Civil War, did this machine sew uniforms for the Confederacy or how many quilts did it make? It is a two thread chain stitch machine. I am soooooo excited. According to the Encyclopedia of American Sewing Machines between 31 to 200 of these machines still exist and its value would be between $200 to $1,200 but to me it is priceless.

1852 Grover and Baker Coffin Lid Treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216148[/ATTACH]

With lid off
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216149[/ATTACH]

Close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216150[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216142.jpe   attachment-216143.jpe   attachment-216144.jpe