View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
butterflywing

i was/am a custom dressmaker for a loooong time(now only when i feel like it).

burda is not a good choice for a beginner. it has very strange shapes. look for a pattern company that offers instructions for size changes. if you are a size 8 bust and a size 10 shoulder, you need help making that change, especially if the neck opening is too large or small. there is no beginner that knows how to decrease a collar neck size. on bottoms, hips and waists need change instructions. many of the european pattern companies don't give any. if there is a set-in sleeve, that adjustment is not as easy as it may sound.

telling a learner to buy for the high bust and increase for the full bust is absurd. most of the time they don't even know what that means.

start with a pattern that has no set-in sleeve and a neckline that has no collar. either a boatneck or u-neck is perfect. something loosely fitted , but with some little bit of fitting is a good start. look for side slits, a good learning technique. knits are easier to fit, but harder to handle. you should preferably use a serger with knits and be very careful about cutting. don't let it roll up. if you use slippery fabric, use a walking foot.

soooo........start easy, but with one or two lessons in mind for yourself. buy inexpensive fabric and be prepared to make a mistake or two. stay away from stripes and plaids. don't beat yourself up over it. take your time and don't do it when you're tired.

each time you make something you'll learn something new and your confidence will build. or, you may decide you hate it and it isn't for you. big deal. no one has to do everything.

VERY IMPORTANT: learn what your machine will do for you. will it blindstitch? overcast or zigzag? roll an edge?

believe me, you can do it. if you decide to go ahead and you run into problems, you can pm me and i'll try to help you out long distance.