View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Janquiltz

According to the definitions I read - your blocks in your miniature quilt have a 1 to 4 ratio to a block in a full size quilt. So if the full-size quilt block is 12" finished then you can make a 3" finished block and go 4 blocks across and 4 blocks down and without sashing or borders would have a 12" square quilt. You could also make 4" blocks and do 3 rows of 3" blocks. You could add sashing and a border and as long as your top or bottom dimensions did not exceed 24" your quilt would be considered a miniature. Now, you could also have a quilt that kept within the 24" x 24" criteria, but if it was comprised of 6" blocks (four across and four rows - no sashing and no borders) you would not have a miniature quilt, but a small quilt. From what I have read, the 1/12 scale is what is used for making things for miniature doll houses. So taking what I have read in to consideration, your leaf quilt is considered a small quilt (5 1/2" - or a little less - blocks), but your little bird quilt would be considered a mini.

But I am not the quilt police and your quilts are darling. It is fun to go small, and as long as you are having fun and enjoy what your are doing and don't plan on entering them in any quilt shows under the miniature category - who cares about the AQS criteria. Right? (At least that is the way I approach the miniature quilts that I do)