Old 05-03-2009, 07:38 PM
kwhite

That is wonderful. I know I tried to get my mom's approval for YEARS. and never succeeded. I remember one day finding out about which potato to put into chowder to keep it from getting thick. I thought to myself "boy if I could fit that into a conversation with my mom she would be impressed" Well the first day she got to my house for her visit we went to the store and a woman walked up to me in the produce isle and guess what she asked me? What kind of potato should she buy for her chowder. I BEAMED, puffed out my chest and told her what I had learned. I smiled at my mom who said "Now why did you tell her that? Those potatoes are expensive and the cheaper ones would do just fine" and she walked away. I looked directly up to God and said out loud, "thanks for trying" and at that moment I gave up trying to get her approval. That is also the very moment that our relationship became a wonderful friendship. I no longer needed her approval. I accepted ME and we were fine from that point forward. It is amazing how liberating letting go can be.