Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Mommy memories since Mother's Day is coming up!

Blog Entries
    Do you have a favorite moment or memory of something you and your child or children shared?

One of my favorite memories of my middle child Nathan was one Christmas time. I worked in a Christian book store and my kids would come to the store after school and help. A week before Christmas my son was 12. He and his best friend went shopping just down the street from the book store. They came back and asked if they could bring a box into the store. I said yes and they came in the door lugging this huge box- it was a box that had contained a console tv(very large!)
    I wasn't allowed to look in it. They had gone to a local second hand store after getting the box from a tv store down the block and had filled the box with harlequin books from the second hand store and the box was very heavy!!! THey put their skate boards under it and one pushed while the other held the box together and brought it to the store!!! We got it in my van and took it home. I had no idea what was in it!
    When I opened it on Christmas morning I was stunned! There were over 300 books in it!!!

My son Nathan and I had this one upmanship thing going on at the time. I had him wrap gifts for the store and while he was doing this I added his Christmas gifts -boxed of course- and he wrapped his own gifts without knowing it! It was a fun time in our lives!!

We already had our Mothering Sunday here in the UK, it was in March.

I have so many memories of things my mom taught me. Still to this day I will do something and think 'my mom taught me this'

Sewing, baking cakes, making pastry, doing my hair a certain way, shaving my legs (!)

I have vivid memories of the moment she showed me how to do all these things and the things she said to me at the time. She loves it when I tell her about this!

My Mom was a stay at home Mom and always had freshly baked cookies for me after school. I also remember fondly the summers I spent in Maine with my Mom and brother. My Dad drove up at the end of the summer to get us- 8 weeks on the beach - who wouldn't remember that? My Mom and aunt would take my hands and would jump me over the waves when then came in - I can remember standing there for hours, but I am sure it was probably no more than 10 minutes. She also taught me to sew - she made most of my clothes. Mom, I miss you!

I guess I am just bad to the bone. One of my favorite memories of my Mom is telling her of the things I "really did" when I was a teen when she thought I was doing something else. And she and I would try to scare each other any time we could. One night it was bed time and I jumped up and ran back the hall to go hide in her room to scare her. She shut off the lights and came back and crouched down at the foot of my bed (where DH was sleeping) waiting for me to come out of the bathroom to scare me. Well I figured out what she was doing before she figured out what I was doing and snuck up behind her and scared the poop out of her. She screamed I screamed DH really screamed and we layed on the bedroom floor laughing for 10 mins at least. I miss that. :cry:

My younger son, Emi (short for Emmanuel), came the other day and told me that he is working on my mother's day card in school. He filled in some blanks and one is my age. Last year he said I was 72 (when I was 45). This year he said I am 49. At least is a little closer. He was then asked what is something I really wish for. Without missing a beat he said: Another Emi! I am her favorite kid, so she would be happier if she had two of me!

I almost fel off my chair!
    Emi is a lovely child but a handful, specialy when it comes to talking. He speaks his mind ALL THE TIME!!!

Maria

Bump this is a good thread. I love hearing these stories.

My mom yodelled, and would walk on her hands across the front yard! She tried to teach me to do cartwheels, but I never could. I was always afraid of falling! I miss my mom, too!

My mom was a stay at home mom. She was mom and dad when my dad was sent overseas ( he was in the Air Force.) It was so hard for her. I found out later we all could have gone but she didn't want to uproot us. I was a sophomore in high school. She wanted me to finish high school with my friends. I didn't realize what a strong woman she was til I was an adult.

Banned
    Oh gosh this is hard. I miss my mom so much. I lost her a year ago, to a massive stroke. Mom was a stay at home mom. Dad was in the Navy til 1974 when he retired.
    My mom wasn't only my mom, she was my sister, my best friend, father when dad was overseas. She taught me alot, and everyday when I'm doing something it brings me back to those days with her. She LOVED fabric shopping. We were like kids in a candy shop.... Ohhhhh look at this,,,,, ooooooo look at that. Back then I made her clothes. She taught me to hand embroidery... So as I do this I have WONDERFUL memories of our talks while we sewed. I envy all of you who are still celebrating with your moms & dads coming up.... I lost my dad to cancer 16 yrs ago.... :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

I remeber fondly "snow days". Mom would set up the card table and we would do puzzles, play board games, and make crafts. Sometimes, the power would be out and we'd have to cook dinner in the fireplace.

When I was at her house this past month, she still has that card table! My dad and I were laughing because she won't let him throw it away.

I also remember all her speeding tickets--we still laugh about waking up in Tennessee to flashing blue lights at 4 am. As kids, sound asleep in the back of the woodie wagon, we thought the aliens had landed.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I guess I am just bad to the bone. One of my favorite memories of my Mom is telling her of the things I "really did" when I was a teen when she thought I was doing something else. And she and I would try to scare each other any time we could. One night it was bed time and I jumped up and ran back the hall to go hide in her room to scare her. She shut off the lights and came back and crouched down at the foot of my bed (where DH was sleeping) waiting for me to come out of the bathroom to scare me. Well I figured out what she was doing before she figured out what I was doing and snuck up behind her and scared the poop out of her. She screamed I screamed DH really screamed and we layed on the bedroom floor laughing for 10 mins at least. I miss that. :cry:
    LMBoff...that is a great story, kwhite...(mufasa)...do it again!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My dad died when I was 7 years old, leaving my mom with 6 kids to raise, ages 16 down to 18 months. We didn't have much money, social security wasn't much in those days, the 60's. One of my best memories is going to the drive-in summer nights. Mom would make popcorn and put it in grocery bags, then we'd stop by the rootbeer stand and buy a gallon of rootbeer and head to the drive-in. We'd get there early enough so we kids could play on the swing set and then we'd run back to the car to enjoy icy cold rootbeer and popcorn. What a sweet memory. Thank you for helping me remember.

Thanks Quiltincrazy. I really miss her.

Blog Entries
    My Mom was very authoritarian (German Catholic - need I say more?) So my memories of childhood are very much geared to the therapist couch - lol. I decided NOT to perpetuate the problem and did not have children. So Mother's Day is one of those attempts at emotional blackmail by the card, chocolate and flower industry.

color me not giving in!

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    We are currently planning my mothers 90th birthday party for this summer. We are all looking forward to it. I know I will miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    My Mom was very authoritarian (German Catholic - need I say more?) So my memories of childhood are very much geared to the therapist couch - lol. I decided NOT to perpetuate the problem and did not have children. So Mother's Day is one of those attempts at emotional blackmail by the card, chocolate and flower industry.

color me not giving in!
    I respect that you feel that way. My oldest DD decided not to have kids because she was afraid she would be like her father. Controlling and verbally abusive. My one and only GD was an accident and I have to say she is a wonderful mother. So strong yet so loving. She has overcome her past and I am proud of her.

Blog Entries
    When I started this thread I told about my son and our relationship. I thought I don't have any good things to say about my mom. She is very controlling and I am an only child. I feel like I never measure up and I have to "earn" her approval. \
    I have thought about this all day. My DH and I moved into my dad's auto shop(dad's been gone since 1990) and remodeled it into a home.
    So I am in my mom's back yard. We have struggled with our relationship and it is hard at times. But I love her and she loves me we just don't see life from the same point of view. She has never been one to play with me or do things with me her role in her eyes is to tell me how to do things to make me better by her standards. And my role is supposed to be to do as I am told only I am not good at doing as I am told!
    I feel guilty because I don't really have any fond memories of times spent with her. But since we are living here now she and I are working at our relationship. Sometimes I enjoy her company and sometimes I feel like I am 5 years old again.

She has become a great Great Grandmother tho When the Grands are here she helps me with them and the other day she hugged my autistic grandson and he said you're squishing me! So she told him that was a squishy hug! So now they go around giving squishy hugs!!

That is wonderful. I know I tried to get my mom's approval for YEARS. and never succeeded. I remember one day finding out about which potato to put into chowder to keep it from getting thick. I thought to myself "boy if I could fit that into a conversation with my mom she would be impressed" Well the first day she got to my house for her visit we went to the store and a woman walked up to me in the produce isle and guess what she asked me? What kind of potato should she buy for her chowder. I BEAMED, puffed out my chest and told her what I had learned. I smiled at my mom who said "Now why did you tell her that? Those potatoes are expensive and the cheaper ones would do just fine" and she walked away. I looked directly up to God and said out loud, "thanks for trying" and at that moment I gave up trying to get her approval. That is also the very moment that our relationship became a wonderful friendship. I no longer needed her approval. I accepted ME and we were fine from that point forward. It is amazing how liberating letting go can be.

Blog Entries
    I'm still working on the letting go thing!! (getting mom's approval) and I'm now 53! and she is 76!
    My oldest two kids were the best of friends ( they are a year apart)until they got into their teens. Then they couldn't be in the same room with each other without fighting! One would say something cutting before the other one got a chance to hit out. I sometimes think my mom and I are like that. But we are both trying.
    My mom and my husband are both type A personalities and I am a type B. They want everything spotless and in it's place at all times. They are always 2 hours early for everything! My mom starts planning Thanksgiving dinner in June. She likes all the little details planned far i n advance and has it all written out. Down to how many and what kind of salt and pepper shakers to use. My husband is also one who likes everything done to perfection.
    I on the other hand am my father's daughter! I am a slob and can walk around things for days before I even notice I need to deal with this or that. I get tunnel vision especially when I quilt which is most of every day.

I always say I feel like a bone between two dogs! But their nagging serves a purpose or i would never do household chores!! My mom bought my husband a dishwasher several years ago because he loves anything with a motor. So they gave up on me doing dishes!!! and we bought new washer and dryer recently and I have used it twice. Every time I start a load my husband takes over because I don't do it right! Oh well he's welcome to it!! He is handicapped and it gives him something to do.

I'm quite happy concentrating on my sewing!!! :mrgreen:

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    My mum was a joker and would always be teasing us..one of the things that still brings a smile when thinking of my mum is her taking out her false teeth (which she had since her early 30s) and then with her gummy smile and licking her lips in anticipation saying to us: who wants to give me a kiss then!
    She also did it with my kids who would run and hide...another favourite memory is mum coming over and pretending to cough and then saying have you got any of that special medicine as she was partial to straight whiskey anytime!
    My mum has now passed on and i wish i had spent more time with her creating memories instead of being so busy... so all of you who still have mothers make the most of them because when they are gone they are gone forever..i never listened to anyone who told me that and thought yeah yeah but it is now that she is no longer here that i wish she were here and i would give anything to see her again..dont get me wrong we had issues but i know my mum loved me and i loved her.

My mom..... My mom is still here thank goodness, as I am soon to be 30. So hopefully I have quite a few more years with her!

I am sorry for those of you who don't have your moms around. I am willing to share my mom if you want.

My mom is a really hard worker. She worked a full time job and also some part time jobs. She would cater every Thurs night to bring in extra money. And I remember her selling Friendly Homes, is it?? Something anyway but I don't think that is right. She also used to cut hair on the side for extra money. My mom is still a very hard worker. She still has her full time job, cleans for a friend on Thurs nights and her friends son on Wed night to make extra money. She also works part time taking care of a lady on the weekends.

I remember being slapped across the face twice by her when younger for talking back to her, I deserved it. She only remembers doing it one time and she said she went right back to her room and cried after I stomped up the stairs. She also used to carry around a wooden spoon in her back pocket when my sister and I were acting up! HAHA

Kyia :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kyiav10
    I remember being slapped across the face twice by her when younger for talking back to her, I deserved it.

Kyia :D
    That happened to me once!!! And boy did I deserve it!!! I was 13 and we were in an argument and I called her a *itch. Then SMACK!!! Never did that again!! Thankfully my mom and I hardly ever argued. We are and always have been best friends.

My favorite Mommy memory comes from my daughter Erin. We were in the basement tidying and I said to Erin (who was 10 at the time) "I want to get this place straightened out so that when I'm old and go into the retirement home you won't have a lot of work to do to clean it out."

She looked at me with love in her eyes and said, "Mama you're never going to live in a retirement home...." My heart melted at her tenderness... She continued, " You're going to go live with Ryan." (Her brother)

We still laugh at that!

LOL My daughter worked for a retirement village here. She would come home and tell us how horrible it was for the residents. I asked her if she would ever put us in a home like that and she didn''t hesitate. "NO WAY" she said. Then she added "I will find you a good one"

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Our youngest daughter asked me how come I had to go to work. I told her I needed to put money away for when I was old. She asked who paid for Grandma. I told her sometimes we did. She thought about that for a nanosecond and told me I could keep working.