Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mommy memories since Mother's Day is coming up! >

Mommy memories since Mother's Day is coming up!

Mommy memories since Mother's Day is coming up!

Old 05-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwhite
I guess I am just bad to the bone. One of my favorite memories of my Mom is telling her of the things I "really did" when I was a teen when she thought I was doing something else. And she and I would try to scare each other any time we could. One night it was bed time and I jumped up and ran back the hall to go hide in her room to scare her. She shut off the lights and came back and crouched down at the foot of my bed (where DH was sleeping) waiting for me to come out of the bathroom to scare me. Well I figured out what she was doing before she figured out what I was doing and snuck up behind her and scared the poop out of her. She screamed I screamed DH really screamed and we layed on the bedroom floor laughing for 10 mins at least. I miss that. :cry:
LMBoff...that is a great story, kwhite...(mufasa)...do it again!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-03-2009, 05:20 PM

My dad died when I was 7 years old, leaving my mom with 6 kids to raise, ages 16 down to 18 months. We didn't have much money, social security wasn't much in those days, the 60's. One of my best memories is going to the drive-in summer nights. Mom would make popcorn and put it in grocery bags, then we'd stop by the rootbeer stand and buy a gallon of rootbeer and head to the drive-in. We'd get there early enough so we kids could play on the swing set and then we'd run back to the car to enjoy icy cold rootbeer and popcorn. What a sweet memory. Thank you for helping me remember.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:57 PM

Thanks Quiltincrazy. I really miss her.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

My Mom was very authoritarian (German Catholic - need I say more?) So my memories of childhood are very much geared to the therapist couch - lol. I decided NOT to perpetuate the problem and did not have children. So Mother's Day is one of those attempts at emotional blackmail by the card, chocolate and flower industry.

color me not giving in!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 PM

We are currently planning my mothers 90th birthday party for this summer. We are all looking forward to it. I know I will miss her.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
My Mom was very authoritarian (German Catholic - need I say more?) So my memories of childhood are very much geared to the therapist couch - lol. I decided NOT to perpetuate the problem and did not have children. So Mother's Day is one of those attempts at emotional blackmail by the card, chocolate and flower industry.

color me not giving in!
I respect that you feel that way. My oldest DD decided not to have kids because she was afraid she would be like her father. Controlling and verbally abusive. My one and only GD was an accident and I have to say she is a wonderful mother. So strong yet so loving. She has overcome her past and I am proud of her.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

When I started this thread I told about my son and our relationship. I thought I don't have any good things to say about my mom. She is very controlling and I am an only child. I feel like I never measure up and I have to "earn" her approval. \
I have thought about this all day. My DH and I moved into my dad's auto shop(dad's been gone since 1990) and remodeled it into a home.
So I am in my mom's back yard. We have struggled with our relationship and it is hard at times. But I love her and she loves me we just don't see life from the same point of view. She has never been one to play with me or do things with me her role in her eyes is to tell me how to do things to make me better by her standards. And my role is supposed to be to do as I am told only I am not good at doing as I am told!
I feel guilty because I don't really have any fond memories of times spent with her. But since we are living here now she and I are working at our relationship. Sometimes I enjoy her company and sometimes I feel like I am 5 years old again.

She has become a great Great Grandmother tho When the Grands are here she helps me with them and the other day she hugged my autistic grandson and he said you're squishing me! So she told him that was a squishy hug! So now they go around giving squishy hugs!!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:38 PM

That is wonderful. I know I tried to get my mom's approval for YEARS. and never succeeded. I remember one day finding out about which potato to put into chowder to keep it from getting thick. I thought to myself "boy if I could fit that into a conversation with my mom she would be impressed" Well the first day she got to my house for her visit we went to the store and a woman walked up to me in the produce isle and guess what she asked me? What kind of potato should she buy for her chowder. I BEAMED, puffed out my chest and told her what I had learned. I smiled at my mom who said "Now why did you tell her that? Those potatoes are expensive and the cheaper ones would do just fine" and she walked away. I looked directly up to God and said out loud, "thanks for trying" and at that moment I gave up trying to get her approval. That is also the very moment that our relationship became a wonderful friendship. I no longer needed her approval. I accepted ME and we were fine from that point forward. It is amazing how liberating letting go can be.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

I'm still working on the letting go thing!! (getting mom's approval) and I'm now 53! and she is 76!
My oldest two kids were the best of friends ( they are a year apart)until they got into their teens. Then they couldn't be in the same room with each other without fighting! One would say something cutting before the other one got a chance to hit out. I sometimes think my mom and I are like that. But we are both trying.
My mom and my husband are both type A personalities and I am a type B. They want everything spotless and in it's place at all times. They are always 2 hours early for everything! My mom starts planning Thanksgiving dinner in June. She likes all the little details planned far i n advance and has it all written out. Down to how many and what kind of salt and pepper shakers to use. My husband is also one who likes everything done to perfection.
I on the other hand am my father's daughter! I am a slob and can walk around things for days before I even notice I need to deal with this or that. I get tunnel vision especially when I quilt which is most of every day.

I always say I feel like a bone between two dogs! But their nagging serves a purpose or i would never do household chores!! My mom bought my husband a dishwasher several years ago because he loves anything with a motor. So they gave up on me doing dishes!!! and we bought new washer and dryer recently and I have used it twice. Every time I start a load my husband takes over because I don't do it right! Oh well he's welcome to it!! He is handicapped and it gives him something to do.

I'm quite happy concentrating on my sewing!!! :mrgreen:
Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 AM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

My mum was a joker and would always be teasing us..one of the things that still brings a smile when thinking of my mum is her taking out her false teeth (which she had since her early 30s) and then with her gummy smile and licking her lips in anticipation saying to us: who wants to give me a kiss then!
She also did it with my kids who would run and hide...another favourite memory is mum coming over and pretending to cough and then saying have you got any of that special medicine as she was partial to straight whiskey anytime!
My mum has now passed on and i wish i had spent more time with her creating memories instead of being so busy... so all of you who still have mothers make the most of them because when they are gone they are gone forever..i never listened to anyone who told me that and thought yeah yeah but it is now that she is no longer here that i wish she were here and i would give anything to see her again..dont get me wrong we had issues but i know my mum loved me and i loved her.