View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM
reeskylr

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
Originally Posted by reeskylr
Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
Glad you are getting into quilting. If you decide it makes sense to spend less money and buy a smaller machine to see if you really like quilting, I say go for it. :-)
However, DON"T do what I did and buy a machine that says it's made for quilting. Be SURE it really CAN do the job. I bought a wonderful Brother CS6000i for $180, It comes with the extension table, the darning/FM foot, walking foot, needle down position etc. and I absolutely LOVE it... EXCEPT it doesn't have ANY room between the needle and the side of the machine (I'm a newbie and don't know what the side is called)!!!! For my quilting 101 class, I can't machine quilt my 72" x72" quilt because it won't fit, and I was very frustrated. Take someone with you that knows about quilting when shopping that you can trust. Have fun!
I wondered if this machine was worth the price. Thanks for the information.
Even with not being able to Machine Quilt, I still would recommend the Brother CS6000i for everything else. It's wonderful for piecing, easy to thread, a good manual, and has everything else you need for easy use, and is VERY easy to take to class...light weight and comes with a case. The only other thing I would improve besides the quilting room would be a better light. ;-)
I think they all need a better light, or maybe my eyes are just getting worse than I thought. Hehe. I think my main selling point on that machine is the table. Just for my little Baby Lock, one of my local LQS shops said it would cost me 80.00 to have one fitted. Since it seems the machines don't come with machine tables any more that they sit into and you have that level area, I do miss it.