Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a sewing machine >

Buying a sewing machine

Buying a sewing machine

Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM

If you buy a used machine be sure that it works very good. If you get one that is difficult to run or the stitches do not look good, you will not be happy with your work. It is best to go to a local dealer and get the bottom of the line to start with. The Viking Machines hold their value. For the first year you can trade up and get the same as you paid for it on a new machine. Also the Viking never needs to be oiled and has a drop in bobbin that is so much easier to see,
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by reeskylr
Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
Glad you are getting into quilting. If you decide it makes sense to spend less money and buy a smaller machine to see if you really like quilting, I say go for it. :-)
However, DON"T do what I did and buy a machine that says it's made for quilting. Be SURE it really CAN do the job. I bought a wonderful Brother CS6000i for $180, It comes with the extension table, the darning/FM foot, walking foot, needle down position etc. and I absolutely LOVE it... EXCEPT it doesn't have ANY room between the needle and the side of the machine (I'm a newbie and don't know what the side is called)!!!! For my quilting 101 class, I can't machine quilt my 72" x72" quilt because it won't fit, and I was very frustrated. Take someone with you that knows about quilting when shopping that you can trust. Have fun!
I wondered if this machine was worth the price. Thanks for the information.
Even with not being able to Machine Quilt, I still would recommend the Brother CS6000i for everything else. It's wonderful for piecing, easy to thread, a good manual, and has everything else you need for easy use, and is VERY easy to take to class...light weight and comes with a case. The only other thing I would improve besides the quilting room would be a better light. ;-)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by reeskylr
Glad you are getting into quilting. If you decide it makes sense to spend less money and buy a smaller machine to see if you really like quilting, I say go for it. :-)
However, DON"T do what I did and buy a machine that says it's made for quilting. Be SURE it really CAN do the job. I bought a wonderful Brother CS6000i for $180, It comes with the extension table, the darning/FM foot, walking foot, needle down position etc. and I absolutely LOVE it... EXCEPT it doesn't have ANY room between the needle and the side of the machine (I'm a newbie and don't know what the side is called)!!!! For my quilting 101 class, I can't machine quilt my 72" x72" quilt because it won't fit, and I was very frustrated. Take someone with you that knows about quilting when shopping that you can trust. Have fun!
I wondered if this machine was worth the price. Thanks for the information.
Even with not being able to Machine Quilt, I still would recommend the Brother CS6000i for everything else. It's wonderful for piecing, easy to thread, a good manual, and has everything else you need for easy use, and is VERY easy to take to class...light weight and comes with a case. The only other thing I would improve besides the quilting room would be a better light. ;-)
I think they all need a better light, or maybe my eyes are just getting worse than I thought. Hehe. I think my main selling point on that machine is the table. Just for my little Baby Lock, one of my local LQS shops said it would cost me 80.00 to have one fitted. Since it seems the machines don't come with machine tables any more that they sit into and you have that level area, I do miss it.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:24 AM

I learned to sew on a featherweight. I know some of them can be very expensive nowdays. Why not try a Singer 301. IT's a workhorse and can do a few stitches. Yes I now own a 301 and love it.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joycet
I learned to sew on a featherweight. I know some of them can be very expensive nowdays. Why not try a Singer 301. IT's a workhorse and can do a few stitches. Yes I now own a 301 and love it.
I, too learned on a featherweight. A 301 is a good machine too but a Singer 404 is just as good, does the same great stitch, is easy to use and is MUCH less money out of pocket. It is a good way to go green - no plastic. They were built to last and they do. The plastic machines do not last all that long. There are plenty out there - just watch Craig's list. If you get one that doesn't work go on the vintage area of this board and learn how to make it work.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
If you do not know how to use a sewing machine, it would be extremely helpful to buy from a dealer who offers free lessons. I agree with buying a used machine if the dealer will offer lessons with it. Your Quilting 101 class will expect you to know how to use the machine, including how to thread it, how to wind a bobbin, how to insert and remove a bobbin, etc.

An alternative to dealer lessons is if your have a friend or relative who could spend an hour or two with you, teaching you how to use a machine. After that you will need to spend some time practicing to make sure you can do everything on your own before starting the quilting class.

If you can get free lessons only by purchasing a new machine, I would stick to a lower-end machine. Babylock, Brother, Janome and Sears Kenmore all have reasonable quality lower-end machines. Just be sure you are able to adjust the stitch length and stitch width individually. (The lowest-end machines often have a set number of "preset" stitches which do not allow you to make adjustments.)

This low-end machine can become your backup machine and take-to-class machine for later on, when you buy your all-bells-and-whistles more expensive machine.

Don't spend a lot of money on a machine now, before you really understand sewing machines and what you like/don't like. You could regret the purchase later, when you realize that this first machine doesn't have everything that has become really important to you. Give yourself some time.
I was also going to say take a friend who knows about sewing with you so she/he can explain it in terms that you may understand about what the machine does even if it is second hand . Go by their judgement if they pick a machine they think is best for you. Have fun learning your machine and it will pay off in the long run.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:33 AM

When I started sewing many years ago, I bought a cheapie Singer for $119 and I put about 200,000 miles on it before upgrading. It was what I could afford at the time, but it also made sense to me not to spend too much until I knew if I wanted to continue.

It was a mechanical machine with about 15 stitches but it served my needs. It forced me to learn the machine and its quirks (and they all have 'em). I would do the same thing over again. I would look at reviews of the low end machines and get the best one. If you sew for a year and then upgrade, you got your money's worth and have a backup.

P.S. Sears Kenmore machines are usually pretty decent for a low price. I would start there.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:18 AM

I have to agree with the folks here, getting a inexpensive machine would be best right now. You may discover you do not like sewing at all.