Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a sewing machine >

Buying a sewing machine

Buying a sewing machine

Old 06-28-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Wow! That is quite a challenge. Maybe you could find a used one for $50 or so bucks since you don't even know how to use one. For a beginner, having all the bells and whistles could be confusing. The simpler the better. There is much to be learned about tension and sometimes that gives even the most experienced sewers fits. When you do out-grow that one, it could be resold and you would probably be able to re-coop that minimal investment. I would hate to see you become discouraged because of your lack of knowledge. Good luck to you. I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. I wouldn't jump out of an airplane just hoping that the size of my parachute would compensate for my lack of knowledge. :-)
I totally agree with this. The simpler the better. You can always upgrade as your knowledge and hopefully your passion for quilting increases
Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 AM

We have several machines. My wife 1st bought a Singer Comfort Quilter at Joann's for $299. It is a nice machine, but could never get the auto threader to work. I have a Brother PE780D embroidery machine, but needed a straight sewing machine. I went to the Brother dealer and bought a new Runway HS-2000 for $199. Great little machine, but it was a limited edition and I do not think it is available anymore. However, I was looking at Walmart and they have several Brother machines that have very similar functions as the HS-2000 for prices ranging from $149-$199.

About classes, I am sure they quickly get you started and teach you quite a bit, however I just started from scratch, had never sewn on a machine before and between my wife, friends and videos on You Tube I have learned a lot. Not an expert, for sure, but can do most things I want to do and if not can ask others for help or search You Tube for videos.

There are some super "how to videos" on You Tube by Missouri Star Quilters.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 AM

What is your budget? How serious are you? How big are the items you want to make? I strongly recommend going to a dealer and getting some insight as to what the machines can do and at what price (needle up/needle down is an important feature). My friend strongly advised not underbuying as you might outgrow a machine quickly. I started with a Janome Decor 5060 and it is a wonderful machine. When I tried to quilt a full size quilt on it I ran into problems because the throat was small (distance from machine to the needle). That's why having an idea of what you want to make is so important. I wound up buying a Janome 6600 and it's a fine machine.

Please visit a dealer and learn before you buy. Make sure the dealer is going to provide you with some instruction and support. Janomes are workhorses. I've seen new Janome 6500 for $1100 on the internet. If you have a Janome dealer near you, visit and see if they have one in stock. I highly recommend Janome. Good Luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 AM

I would get a new less expensive machine and work up if you really find that this is what you want to do. Buying a used machine may mean buying someone else's problems. A new machine has a warranty and also most dealers offer beginning lessons or at least lessons to learn your machine. Shop around so you can make a choice that fits your needs.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sabaker39
I would get a new less expensive machine and work up if you really find that this is what you want to do. Buying a used machine may mean buying someone else's problems. A new machine has a warranty and also most dealers offer beginning lessons or at least lessons to learn your machine. Shop around so you can make a choice that fits your needs.
Or you might be buying somebody's baby that her descendants didn't want
Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 AM

My first thought was to advise you to get a used machine. A straight-stitch only machine such as a Singer 301, 201, or 99 would be very inexpensive compared to today's nicer machines, but with the attachments they can do almost everything the newer machines can do.

I recently taught my 24 year old stepdaughter how to sew on a Singer 301 and she was impressed with how much one can do with those "mysterious" attachments.

Once you have learned the basics of sewing, and know you enjoy it, this would be the time to spend more $$ on a "fancier" machine.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:31 AM

If it isn't too far, I will come and help you. Send me a pm and we can discuss this.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

If you buy a good used machine it can hold up in value. A new machine will go down in value as soon as you buy it. To buy a used machine make sure the wheel turns freely. Make sure it stitches, winds a bobbin, the electric works - look at the wires to make sure they aren't cracked or frayed. Does it zigzag? Does the machine look distressed? Some of us buy them with problems and fix them up if it something that can be fixed even. The older machines usually can be fixed but the newer ones often times are history if something goes bad.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 AM

Janome----Janome----Janome----Janome----

I started out with my Mom's machine which was an antique that frankly didn't work well. I bought a low end Janome off of E Bay (with the quilt package--walking foot) for about $250 about 2 years ago. I upgraded last summer to a Janome 1600 and have nothing but positive to say about Janomes!

(I know there are other machines that are just as good, though.. :mrgreen: ----also the problem I see with buying a used machine that having little knowledge of machines you may end up with a big repair bill to get it going.....just oiling and adjusting with cost $60 or so .....)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 AM

I have taken the chance in the past by buying 'pre-loved' sewing machines. Usually at yard sales, it was 'Moms' or Grandma's' machine and the present owner has no interest in sewing. I just picked up a 1980's New Home, a lovely, super clean machine. We set it up in her kitchen to run it before I handed over any cash. I would have paid double - it purrs! Lots of attachments and for only $25, I know I got a bargain!
Originally Posted by sabaker39