Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a sewing machine >

Buying a sewing machine

Buying a sewing machine

Old 06-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Banned

The Bernina store here takes trade-ins and they always have several good used machines for sale. Their service people go over them carefully, fix what's needed, and have a 30-day guarantee for these used machines. If you have to teach yourself to sew on whatever machine you get, it's going to be pretty trial-and-error, so try hard to find somebody who can assist you as you learn. Doesn't have to be a professional teacher, just somebody who's an experienced sewer who could help you with getting the necessary beginning skills down pat. If you get a used machine, be absolutely sure it comes with a manual, or check online to see if you can get one that way. Otherwise it's going to be a very steep learning curve and we don't want you to get discouraged.

No such thing as a silly question on this forum, so come back with anything that confuses you!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 AM

I own a Baby Lock 6200 and have had it for years. I've never had it serviced and the thing runs great. lol, now it'll probably prove me wrong and quit.

I'd love to upgrade and keep this little machine too, maybe some day, but for now it does everything I need it to do. It even came with a walking foot.

But yeah, get a good used machine to start out with. I sewed on my Mom's old Singer 'Heavier than a Chevy' machine for years. ;)
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Let me just point out that if you buy a machine from someplace like JoAnns, Walmart, Target you have no one to take the machine to for warranty work. My advice would be to go to a store that sells machines. Ask who does their warranty and repair work. I would rather put my money into a better used or trade-in machine than an cheap one.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:58 AM

I saw a post saying to buy one at walmart - I'd suggest before buying a sewing machine at walmart to throw your money to the wind..... maybe some do last, but from what I've heard from friends who've bought a cheap machine - that is exactly what you get - cheap - and they can not be fixed; that is the reason for selling at Walmart - an inexpensive well known brand from a place that gives classes, or discounts when you buy a machine would be much better. Plus they can fix it- and if they are willing to stand behind the machine, then you know you have not thrown your money away -

Just my personal advice!

But, enjoy your first sewing experiences however you decide to go - it is your decision. I feel you will go far with your sewing since you are so "into" buying a great machine to begin with...

Enjoy!!:)
Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Why not bump down 1 notch and buy The Babylock Elizabeth. Less money and almost all the features of the Melody. The new machines are great and it has auto tension, thread cutting, memory , comes with a walking foot, built in 1/4 ". It's a great machine. Best of luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM

Glad you are getting into quilting. If you decide it makes sense to spend less money and buy a smaller machine to see if you really like quilting, I say go for it. :-)
However, DON"T do what I did and buy a machine that says it's made for quilting. Be SURE it really CAN do the job. I bought a wonderful Brother CS6000i for $180, It comes with the extension table, the darning/FM foot, walking foot, needle down position etc. and I absolutely LOVE it... EXCEPT it doesn't have ANY room between the needle and the side of the machine (I'm a newbie and don't know what the side is called)!!!! For my quilting 101 class, I can't machine quilt my 72" x72" quilt because it won't fit, and I was very frustrated. Take someone with you that knows about quilting when shopping that you can trust. Have fun!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM

I agree with most of th eposts about buying a minimal machine until you find out if you really like sewing. Then if you find you want to do more than quilting like dressmaking or home decore etc, you can check out the the machines that have more functions. Try to find a salesperson you feel is leading you in the right direction and not just trying to get you to buy mor ethan you need right away. Have fun, I am sur eyou will love sewing. Take care.
Linda
Old 06-28-2011, 06:17 PM

Get the best you can afford with as many bells and whistles as you can get. You will learn fast and not be disappointed!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
Glad you are getting into quilting. If you decide it makes sense to spend less money and buy a smaller machine to see if you really like quilting, I say go for it. :-)
However, DON"T do what I did and buy a machine that says it's made for quilting. Be SURE it really CAN do the job. I bought a wonderful Brother CS6000i for $180, It comes with the extension table, the darning/FM foot, walking foot, needle down position etc. and I absolutely LOVE it... EXCEPT it doesn't have ANY room between the needle and the side of the machine (I'm a newbie and don't know what the side is called)!!!! For my quilting 101 class, I can't machine quilt my 72" x72" quilt because it won't fit, and I was very frustrated. Take someone with you that knows about quilting when shopping that you can trust. Have fun!
I wondered if this machine was worth the price. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 PM

With all this advice, I hope your not confused. Anna O has given some good advice. When your new to sewing it's true, why spend alot of money when you don't know if you will like it. Remember this, Old machines can be great, especially for someone that already knows machines and how and what to adjust to achive the stitch you want. But the perk to a new one is....you don't have to have that previous experience. You choose a stitch and if it is a computerised one. You are already there, you can adjust it, but you don't have to. I have owned a varity of different machines of various brands, Singer Featherweight, Singer 401A, Necci, Bernina, Babylock. I think what everyone on this board hopes for is that you are happy with your choice.(I don't mean to presume to speak for everyone,it's just the jest I get from reading the different comments.)
Don't over buy and don't under buy. How do you know the differance? Ease of use, training, support. We all do this because we love it. We love and have built a relationship with our machines.....all of them, old and new. We want you to have the same joyful experience we have. We would hope you won't be frustrated, that can lead to quiting. None of us would want that. I look forward to seeing and feeling your up and comming love for sewing/quilting. Keep us posted.