Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Square inches of washed fabric:

Suppose I get a piece of fabric from the quilt shop and it measures EXACTLY 36 inches long by 42 inches wide.

I wash all my fabrics before cutting. Some people don't, but I KNOW that my finished quilts will need to be washed again at some point if they are used - which I hope they will be.

I've found that most pieces of cotton fabric shrink some when washed. Sometimes lengthwise, sometimes crosswise. I overcast the ends of the fabric before washing to minimize raveling.

If the fabric was off-grain , I could lose some more inches if I cut fabric from selvage to selvage. If the crosswise fabric grain was straight, maybe only a 1/2 inch or so due to raveling.

So, after I might lose some area due to shrinkage, raveling, being off grain, and the selvages, I maybe have 34 x 40 inches of usable fabric.

Some pattern makers seem to be very close in their fabric needs and others seem to allow for "extra."

Bottom line: I don't think I answered your question as to how much fabric you need for that quilt.

Good luck with it.