Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73

Thread: Can someone Help me with fathoming out.....

  1. #1
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    how much yardage of each fabric I need for this quilt. All it says is you need 10 Lights and 10 darks to make a 68 x 78" quilt.
    Quilt is PP and I got the pattern at Hancocks of Paducah.

    If only they would have said in their info about it whether it was Fat Qīs or Half yards I could have ordered the darned material.
    Here is the link called Japanese Fans....

    I would be very grateful if you could help Thanks so much

    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...atterns--m-164

    Elle

  2. #2
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,562
    Blog Entries
    1
    It's a berautiful quilt and paper-pieced which allows for the use of odd pieces as well. Have you tried emailing them? They surely have the information.

  3. #3
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Wow Elle, that one is gonna be a real beauty! Looks hard to me, so you'll probably just breeze through it. I can't figure out the required yardage because I can't tell the size of the blocks...maybe someone on here can though. It appears that you by using 20 different fabrics though that you wouldn't need that much of each one. I'm guessing that a FQ of each would be enough :?:

    I can't wait to see this one making progress...I'll be watching!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    759
    That's really not good on their part - no putting the size. IMHO...

    I would email them and ask them for more info regarding the fabric. Like you said, if you knew, you would have ordered everything and been on your way sooner... and possibly saved yourself some shipping charges... I would maybe stress that, too...

  5. #5
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    It's a berautiful quilt and paper-pieced which allows for the use of odd pieces as well. Have you tried emailing them? They surely have the information.
    Yes I just loved this one and I want to use some Asian fabrics I have, but I just need more. I will take your advice and ask them though. DAH I didnīt think of that.

    Elle

  6. #6
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Wow Elle, that one is gonna be a real beauty! Looks hard to me, so you'll probably just breeze through it. I can't figure out the required yardage because I can't tell the size of the blocks...maybe someone on here can though. It appears that you by using 20 different fabrics though that you wouldn't need that much of each one. I'm guessing that a FQ of each would be enough :?:

    I can't wait to see this one making progress...I'll be watching!

    I thought Fat Qīs at first, but I am not sure. I am going to email them, it is rather nice and will be a bit of a challenge I am sure.

    Elle

  7. #7
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    That's really not good on their part - no putting the size. IMHO...

    I would email them and ask them for more info regarding the fabric. Like you said, if you knew, you would have ordered everything and been on your way sooner... and possibly saved yourself some shipping charges... I would maybe stress that, too...
    I will email them and will put that idea forward.

    Whats IMHO ????

    Elle

  8. #8
    Power Poster sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,406
    Blog Entries
    10


    Whats IMHO ????

    Elle[/quote]

    In my honest opinion

  9. #9
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    I always figure a top or backing at about five yards (maybe more, maybe less) - - if I need more, a border isn't a problem to match up.

    So, if we are at fat quarters, that would be two and a half yards of light and 2.5 yards of dark ... = five yards, correct?
    Lucky you! You figured it out!

    The quilt measurements you sited are 68"x78" = 5'8"x 6'6" which equals
    4.42 square feet ... hmmm ... I may be doing the math incorrectly ...
    let's try this: 5304 square inches ... in 20 fat quarters, you have 7920 square inches ... that should do it!

    You were right fat quarters.
    did I do that all correctly?

  10. #10
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    IMHO

    In My Humble Opinion

    I don't know how I know that, but that's what it means. LOL

  11. #11
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    I love it beautiful. I also thought Fg at first, but not sure!


    Ninnie

  12. #12
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    Waiting to find out what they tell you! Why didn't they include that info originally! :?

  13. #13
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemjo
    Waiting to find out what they tell you! Why didn't they include that info originally! :?
    Heck I donīt know how they work, it just makes sense to me to give as much info as possible to increase sales. Think I am in the wrong job LOL

  14. #14
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    I always figure a top or backing at about five yards (maybe more, maybe less) - - if I need more, a border isn't a problem to match up.

    So, if we are at fat quarters, that would be two and a half yards of light and 2.5 yards of dark ... = five yards, correct?
    Lucky you! You figured it out!

    The quilt measurements you sited are 68"x78" = 5'8"x 6'6" which equals
    4.42 square feet ... hmmm ... I may be doing the math incorrectly ...
    let's try this: 5304 square inches ... in 20 fat quarters, you have 7920 square inches ... that should do it!

    You were right fat quarters.
    did I do that all correctly?
    Well you just blew my mind with all that maths. I am fairly new to quilting and have mainly done applique so havenīt needed to be maths proficient (unfortunatley I am not) I believe you Omak. I am going on the fat quarter calculation, and that works out.

    THANK YOU so much Elle :D

  15. #15
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,814
    Judy Niemeyer makes some beautiful patterns. I have two that I haven't had time (or the right fabrics) to try yet. Both of the patterns I have clearly say on the back how much yardage to get. (It's on the last page of instructions, visible within the plastic wrapper.)

    If you look at her site you will find that there are quite a few corrections for the pattern you have selected. Be sure to check them out:
    http://www.quiltworx.com/demo/pdfs/6_correction.pdf

    In one of the corrections, she tells you to cut 42" strips, so these definitely aren't FQs. I think they are full yard pieces, though that seems like a lot of fabric, even for paper piecing. However I just added up the fabric requirements for another quilt (Glacier Pines) and it comes up to almost 20 yards, not counting backing. Ouch, that will be expensive! No wonder I haven't started mine yet. (But they do make gorgeous quilts, and her method of paper piecing is really good.)


  16. #16
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Thanks for the tips Dunster, will be sure to check it out.

    By chance is one of the quilt patterns you have the Flower one, Bird of Paradise"? That is a beauty.

    I also liked the Rain Drops pattern. Hancocks sure have a lot of patterns.

    Going to check quiltworks now.

    Elle

  17. #17
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    Judy Niemeyer makes some beautiful patterns. I have two that I haven't had time (or the right fabrics) to try yet. Both of the patterns I have clearly say on the back how much yardage to get. (It's on the last page of instructions, visible within the plastic wrapper.)

    If you look at her site you will find that there are quite a few corrections for the pattern you have selected. Be sure to check them out:
    http://www.quiltworx.com/demo/pdfs/6_correction.pdf

    In one of the corrections, she tells you to cut 42" strips, so these definitely aren't FQs. I think they are full yard pieces, though that seems like a lot of fabric, even for paper piecing. However I just added up the fabric requirements for another quilt (Glacier Pines) and it comes up to almost 20 yards, not counting backing. Ouch, that will be expensive! No wonder I haven't started mine yet. (But they do make gorgeous quilts, and her method of paper piecing is really good.)
    Dunster, Just printed out the corrections. Many thanks again would not have thought of that either.

    Elle

  18. #18
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,814
    The patterns I have are Cactus Rose and Glacier Pines. Both require some applique in addition to the foundation paper piecing, which is one reason I didn't start them right away. (I hadn't attempted any applique when I bought the patterns, on sale.) I saw Prairie Star made up at one of the local quilt stores, and wow! I want to make that one too.

    You might get a quicker response to your question about yardage requirements from Judy Niemeyer's site, http://quiltworx.com/.
    I imagine Hancock's will have to ask her anyway.


  19. #19
    Super Member pittsburgpam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,498
    I've bought several patterns online and there are never the fabric requirements stated. I think that protects the writer from someone just seeing the picture of the pattern and the requirements without purchasing the pattern.

  20. #20
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    However I just added up the fabric requirements for another quilt (Glacier Pines) and it comes up to almost 20 yards, not counting backing. Ouch, that will be expensive! No wonder I haven't started mine yet. (But they do make gorgeous quilts, and her method of paper piecing is really good.)
    20 yrds. for 1 quilt?????? That is crazy!! :shock: :shock: Heck, I'd have to refinance the house for that! Is there a lot of waste?? I'm going to have to google that pattern to see that...I'm sure it is gorgeous! Oooohhh..I just checked...it IS gorgeous!!

  21. #21
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,814
    I agree with you, 20 yards would be a lot to devote to one quilt top. We don't really know for sure how much this pattern requires, since it hasn't told us. :(

    That said, paper piecing does use more fabric than other patchwork. And pattern designers sometimes pad the fabric estimates so you don't run out. Most of us like to have leftovers for another project anyway.

    It still seems like a lot, so I did some figuring... If you were to cover this quilt size ( 68x78 ) with 1" finished patches, and if you allowed .5 inch seam allowance instead of .25 inch (to allow for paper piecing), you would be using 2"x2" unfinished patches, and you would need over 16 yards of fabric. I am figuring that you would be able to use 40" of fabric width, but there's usually some waste there, as well as some waste when straightening the fabric for the first cut. Different sizes and shapes of patches make it really hard to figure, so this is just a simple example.

    In addition, this is a complicated pattern, and I for one would have some mistakes that would result in more fabric not being usable. Then you would still need binding. Altogether I wouldn't be too surprized if the answer is really 20 yards.

  22. #22
    Power Poster littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    Looks like a beautiful quilt. I'm no good at figuring out how much fabric though. Hope you find your answer.

  23. #23
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,009
    Elle, that is going to be one gorgeous quilt!
    And I am surprised too, they didn't specify. Strange.
    Can't wait to see it all done, then you can send it to me! lol
    Oh no! You can save the postage. I'll just take it home with me after I go to visit you. :) :) :)

  24. #24
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I agree with you, 20 yards would be a lot to devote to one quilt top. We don't really know for sure how much this pattern requires, since it hasn't told us. :(

    That said, paper piecing does use more fabric than other patchwork. And pattern designers sometimes pad the fabric estimates so you don't run out. Most of us like to have leftovers for another project anyway.

    It still seems like a lot, so I did some figuring... If you were to cover this quilt size ( 68x78 ) with 1" finished patches, and if you allowed .5 inch seam allowance instead of .25 inch (to allow for paper piecing), you would be using 2"x2" unfinished patches, and you would need over 16 yards of fabric. I am figuring that you would be able to use 40" of fabric width, but there's usually some waste there, as well as some waste when straightening the fabric for the first cut. Different sizes and shapes of patches make it really hard to figure, so this is just a simple example.

    In addition, this is a complicated pattern, and I for one would have some mistakes that would result in more fabric not being usable. Then you would still need binding. Altogether I wouldn't be too surprized if the answer is really 20 yards.

    Yipes Dunster, that is a lot, will have to remortgage the house for this one LOL However I have been collecting Asian fabrics for a while so I have a bit of a stash, but NOT that much.

    I am keeping my fingers crossed that they come back to me today with the yardages.

    Thank you for all your help.

    Elle

  25. #25
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Elle, that is going to be one gorgeous quilt!
    And I am surprised too, they didn't specify. Strange.
    Can't wait to see it all done, then you can send it to me! lol
    Oh no! You can save the postage. I'll just take it home with me after I go to visit you. :) :) :)
    NO no no, you canīt have this one this is for US. Not yet made a quilt for just us, I have given all the rest away. :(

    Elle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.