Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 AM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
Thank you Sandpat & Bearisgray!!! And Sandpat, feel free to jump in anytime!! :D I got my current machine about 4.5 yrs ago, and only a few of the feet are mentioned in the booklet, so I really have no idea what they are! It's a Brother, plain jane model.
I had given my older White machine to my daughter, who never uses it
:( , so I might get that back from her tomorrow. It seems like that had more feet with it.
It sounds like I need the walking foot. I taped the heck out of the ribbon quilt when I sandwhiched it, and I'm guessing I didn't pin close enough, it didn't turn out too good. But it's done. I'm guessing if I had the walking foot, it would have helped with my ditch stitching, keeping the material together better.
Thank you so much for all the hints!!!!! :D
I find that the stitch-in-ditch foot REALLY helps when you do SID. It's a foot with a flange that goes DOWN in the middle of the foot and acts as a guide. You can use it for all sorts of things - like guiding 2 pieces of batting to stitch them together, ditto with 2 folded pieces of fabric to sew together with fancey stitches or pieces of trim or lace for heirloom. There was a whole thread about using this foot a couple of weeks ago.

Pfaff's even feed system is the same as a walking foot. You can dis-engage it when you don't want to use it. Also, Pfaff has a mid-point for lowering your foot to make free motion REALLY easy - low enough so it sews, but doesn't grab the fabric.