Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
pennyswings

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Diane:
I have a plain jane Janome 423S and I quilt with it just fine. I would love a big embroidery machine but can do that now. I use this web site to buy feet and such for my machine they carry all brands. http://www.sew4less.com/sitemap.php
I am sure your brother machine is there and they are very reasonable in their prices.
I brought a quarter inch foot, a in the ditch foot, an emboidery foot and a universal walking foot for my machine. That is all I have really needed to do my quilts. When I first started quilting I purchased Better Homes and Gardens Quilting book (If you want the exact name send me a private message and I will send it to you) I have learned so much from that book and I hate reading instructions. This book has all you need to know on techniques, like planning your quilt, cutting, sewing, machine and hand quilting etc. and I love it.
Then like everyone says, practice and more practice. You tube has some great videos too. This site is wounderful for advice and help but the basics you have to gain on your own through classes at a local quilting shop, videos, or books like I recommended etc.
I could not sew as of two years ago and I am on my like my 12th quilt. I love it.