Old 05-07-2009, 05:31 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Originally Posted by omak
I always figure a top or backing at about five yards (maybe more, maybe less) - - if I need more, a border isn't a problem to match up.

So, if we are at fat quarters, that would be two and a half yards of light and 2.5 yards of dark ... = five yards, correct?
Lucky you! You figured it out!

The quilt measurements you sited are 68"x78" = 5'8"x 6'6" which equals
4.42 square feet ... hmmm ... I may be doing the math incorrectly ...
let's try this: 5304 square inches ... in 20 fat quarters, you have 7920 square inches ... that should do it!

You were right fat quarters.
did I do that all correctly?

Well you just blew my mind with all that maths. I am fairly new to quilting and have mainly done applique so havenīt needed to be maths proficient (unfortunatley I am not) I believe you Omak. I am going on the fat quarter calculation, and that works out.

THANK YOU so much Elle :D
I'm not so good with the math either. If the lady at the LQS says 2 and 1/2 yards, I say give me three. If she says half a yard, I say give me a yard, etc. It's helping to build my stash, at least. On my last trip to the LQS, I (or we) goofed. I like to cut my sashing and borders on the straight of grain (following the selvege). Well, my longest pieces came up about 10 inches short. So, I had to piece. Oh well, no one's perfect.

The next time I need calculations for amt. of fabric, I'll call Butterflyspain. OK? She's really rattling off those numbers. :thumbup: