View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Well, it's not really WRONG since most people call them that buuut (hrmm hrmm, clears throat, prepares to lecture!) BOTANICALLY speaking, geraniums are in fact a hardy perennial, common name, cranesbill NOT the plants I just put out which are BOTANICALLY speaking, pelargoniums! End of lecture! Here's a link if you're really interested, otherwise just ignore me and go on calling them geraniums like most of the rest of the planet, except saddo know it alls like me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelargonium

K x

PS Try landmines to keep Kenny off your flowers - I guarantee he'd only mow over 'em once!
I was really interested:
Pelargonium (pronounced /ˌpɛlɑrˈɡoʊniəm/)[1] is a genus of flowering plants which includes about 200 species of perennials, succulents, and shrubs, commonly known as geraniums or storksbills. Confusingly, Geranium is the correct botanical name of a separate genus of related plants often called Cranesbills. Both genera are in the Family Geraniaceae. Linnaeus originally included all the species in one genus, Geranium, but they were later separated into two genera by Charles L’Héritier in 1789. Gardeners sometimes refer to the members of Genus Pelargonium as "pelargoniums" in order to avoid the confusion, but the older common name "geranium" is still in regular use. wikipedia/source

Land mines...like wile e. coyote and roadrunner...LOL, ironically, that is what I call him - roadrunner. Now that's idea, I think one of us can live with, lol! :wink: