virtualbernie

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by virtualbernie
I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.
I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!
Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.
Yeah, the 15-96 is a treadle. I have one of those too. Looks exactly like the 91.
Please post a picture of your 15-96 machine front and back. I have never seen a 15-96. I have only seen 15-90 and 15-91.

Opps, I just saw your previous post of photos. The 15-91 is the potted (internal) motor and your 15-96 has or had an external motor. Your 15-96 is your treadle machine, but you can't treadle the 15-91 (unless you remove the internal motor, which most say can't be done, but I have been told it can).

Sorry my mistake.
I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where--maybe Treadleon) that people liked the 15-91 so much that they later made it in a treadle version thus the 15-96. I checked the back of mine just to make sure it had not been converted into a treadle and there is no evidence that there was ever a motor on it so I guess my info was accurate. It looks exactly and I mean exactly like the 91 without a motor.
Here is a link that I use a reference for the Singer 15 series (15-89, 15-90, 15-91) that I find very helpful in explaining similarities/differences of the machines and other issues (like motors).

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx
Yup, been there. Ordered a bunch of parts from them. Thanks!