Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 AM
LindaM49

when always making clothing or cloth dolls etc. I never had a problem. My mother's brother gave her his wife's (she was killed in a car accident in 1956) cherry cabinet machine. When my mother passed of course I now own it and the cabinet is beautiful and machine still works great. I always just put my machine on the top of the cabinet...not opened of course...to sew. Well...now since I am making quilts I want more flat sewing space so I had an idea.

Yesterday I watched an Eleanor Burns video online and her son used plexiglass cut to fit and cover the "hole" where the sewing machine drops down in the cabinet. Then there was a completely flat surface for the machine to sit on. Has anyone tried this...and does it work well? I don't need the machine sitting down in the well...just want more fabric space to the left of me...right now I think I have 6". Doing something like this would give almost 3' to the left side.

My hubby used to be a cabinetmaker, went on to build houses and also was an electrician...so he can do this with no problem. I just don't want to ruin this good sewing cabinet.

And there is no room in my sewing/computer room to try something else. My parents antique desk is in here...no where else to put it. My hubby is going to finish an antique bureau I am going to use it to store fabric...right now everything is in bags and boxes.

Thanks in advance.