Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first real post/question.  My sewing machine is portable and >

My first real post/question. My sewing machine is portable and

My first real post/question. My sewing machine is portable and

Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 AM

when always making clothing or cloth dolls etc. I never had a problem. My mother's brother gave her his wife's (she was killed in a car accident in 1956) cherry cabinet machine. When my mother passed of course I now own it and the cabinet is beautiful and machine still works great. I always just put my machine on the top of the cabinet...not opened of course...to sew. Well...now since I am making quilts I want more flat sewing space so I had an idea.

Yesterday I watched an Eleanor Burns video online and her son used plexiglass cut to fit and cover the "hole" where the sewing machine drops down in the cabinet. Then there was a completely flat surface for the machine to sit on. Has anyone tried this...and does it work well? I don't need the machine sitting down in the well...just want more fabric space to the left of me...right now I think I have 6". Doing something like this would give almost 3' to the left side.

My hubby used to be a cabinetmaker, went on to build houses and also was an electrician...so he can do this with no problem. I just don't want to ruin this good sewing cabinet.

And there is no room in my sewing/computer room to try something else. My parents antique desk is in here...no where else to put it. My hubby is going to finish an antique bureau I am going to use it to store fabric...right now everything is in bags and boxes.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Banned

I bought the Horizon machine and didn't want to spend the money for the table. So I purchased a table that can be raised and lowered. Then a cabinet maker made a extension piece that fits around the machine. It is the same size as the lowered table. It works great and has given me more space for the larger pieces. You can purchase the plexiglas extensions for any machine you have and I have one for each of my machines when I have to take them out and use a regular table. You can get the adjustable (height) tables from SAM's Home Depot and on line.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:59 AM

You can find the plexi extension tables on nancysnotions.com and probably other places.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 AM
MTS
Banned

To answer your question, yes, the plexiglass (or anything else, really) would work to plug up the hole so the machine can sit on top.

Just curious - if you've got someone who is handy nearby (and willing), why wouldn't you take the opportunity to cut the plexiglass to fit around with the machine while in the well? Because that's really best situation. Unless your machine is too big to fit in there.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:12 AM

Great ideas everyone. I will talk to hubby and see what he is willing to do.

MTS...must have had a DUH moment because that would work. Now I am thinking...my Elna machine has that detachable extension table that you can remove. That way I have that thin area to sew sleeves or rounded areas. Then in the front of that is a drop down storage compartment. This is going to take some more thought before I have him do something I don't like. Then he gets mad at me. But he gets over it quickly. :)
Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by LindaM49
my Elna machine has that detachable extension table that you can remove.
At the very least, that would give him the template to cut the area around the machine (so it hugs it securely), and the rest would be determined by the
hole size.

Nearby and willing - a winning combo!