Old 07-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Eri

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
I took an old Sears Kenmore to a dealer once to be maintenanced/cleaned. He called me up and LITERALLY told me my machine was a piece of crap, not worth repairing and he would just "go ahead and throw it out" for me and we could talk about purchasing a new Baby-lock. I actually had to argue with him to get the machine back, he was so adamant to throw it out. This machine works fine other than occasionally getting confused about what thread is for....I still love it though. It was my first machine. Sorry your dealer was sucky too. ;)

The same thing happened to me--I took my first machine to one of the two local Sew & Vacs and the guy told me exactly what you were told--that my machine was a piece of crap and I should just throw it out and buy a new one. With a stunned look on my face and not another word, I picked up my machine, walked out, and drove to the other store where they showed me the problem was just the cheap thread I was using (I was a complete newb!) by installing decent thread in my machine and sewing a perfect line. They sold me the spool of thread and didn't charge me anything additional, even when I offered to pay them for their time. I was so inexperienced that if they'd just told me nicely that my machine sucked (it did, but it wasn't broken) I would have bought a new one from them--so I appreciated it all the more that they didn't take advantage of me.