View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Auntie B
I work in our local Sewing Machine Sales/Repair/ LQS. I see machines come in from different stores. Walmart doesn't have any kind of repairs, customers come to us to have a $74.95 tune-up done on a $70 machine from Walmart. We work on all makes and models. But the customer is mad because the tune up costs more than the machine. Our shop doesn't charge to look at the machine, to see if a tune up will fix it, but the customer is not happy to hear that their machine is full of plastic parts, and cannot be repaired. The machine is just one step above a toy sewing machine. Our shop sells Pfaff and Janome, which comes with a one year warranty, our shop adds and additional 2 years of warranty, and throws in a cleaning, tune up, check timing, needle threaders and etc each year for free. Don't buy the Brother machines from London Drugs, they sell reconditioned Brother models that have been returned to Brother, and get sold there at discount prices, with no warranty. Whatever you buy, I would make sure you get warranty work and service, without paying for shipping and handling to get work done. Good luck, and check carefully. Maybe save your money a little longer and upgrade to a better machine. Just had to share, good luck with your choice. Auntie B
Interesting information Auntie B! I am wondering what internal parts are made of plastic? The cheapy Brother I am using is plastic on the outside - but, the bobbin case is metal and everything I can see by peering inside seems metal. Are there moving parts inside the housing? Thanks for helping!!